Chapter 13 - Liar

Maddy's POV

My eyes open and I see Howard and Steve's wet form kneeling beside me. My body was still numb from the cold, all the sudden I start coughing up salty sea water. "Are you ok Maddy?" I hear Howard say and nod. The cold air breezes over me and I shiver. I sit up just in time to feel Howard wrap his coat around me. 

"Maddy what were you thinking?" Steve said as he laid a hand on my shoulder. 

I fake a smile and say, "I guess I had too many beers, because I don't remember." I could tell that hadn't fooled either one of them. I tightened Howard's' coat around my body and I start to stand up. As I do Howard and Steve hurriedly do the same. Then I feel Howard's arm wrap around me and start to usher me to the boardwalk. 

"Rogers, come with us I'll get someone to dry clean your clothes. Don't need you getting sick either." Steve didn't waste a minute catching up to them. I close my eyes and take a deep breath. After a few minutes I find myself in Howard's Rolls-Royce sitting in-between Steve and Howard. I look down at my hands and start twiddling my thumbs. I find myself wanting to be out of the car and in my own bed away from both of them.

When I look up and see the familiarity of Howard's house I let out a sigh. When the car comes to a complete stop Howard hurries out to let me out and get me upstairs into a hot bath to warm me up. "Maddy why don't you go upstairs and get cleaned up while I show Rogers where he can get cleaned up?" I nod and instantly start to distance myself from them. 

When I reach my room I instantly close the door and let out a sigh of relief. I peel off Howard's coat and lay it on my vanity chair. I look in the mirror and see my face with a blue tint to it. I look away and start to make my way to my bathroom. I turn on the hot water and plug the bottom of the tub. The steam starts to fill the room and it envelopes my senses. I quickly remove my clothes and the lower myself into the nice hot water. The water sends a jolt through my body, restarting all my nerves. I close my eyes and my mind replays the night's events, from the club where Steve kissed me to the beach with both of them were overlooking me with panic on their faces. "I should've known they were following me." I say out loud. I quickly finished my bath and brushed my hair and put on some dry clothes. I was looking back out my window over the ocean when a knock resounded in my room.

"Yes?"

 "Maddy its Steve can I come in?"

 I look around and say, "Um, yeah." Then wait patiently for him to enter. When he does his wet hair is slicked back neatly and his body is clinging to his clothes. I bite my lip to keep from running across the floor and attacking him. I shake my head as I say, "What can I do for you?" he walks over to me until we are inches apart and lifts his hand up to my chin and tilts it up. 

"Maddy, I..." he stops and looks away. His touch ignites a fire deep within me. 

"What is it Steve?" I say trying to distract myself from the craving his touch was creating. He looks down into my eyes and I look up into his gorgeous blue eyes and I can feel the passion between us trying to pull us closer together. 

"Maddy, don't ever do anything like that again! I was so worried when I saw you go under and not come up." I freeze and look down at the floor. 

"I'm sorry I made you worry Steve." I say as I pull away from him and walk back over to my balcony and look back out over the ocean. I am suddenly aware of his arms wrapping around me. "Steve, what are you doing?" I say as I feel his muscular body press against my back. My heart starts to beat furiously in my chest and my breathing hastens. He reaches up and moves my hair off of my neck and softly kisses it. My body temperature starts to sky rocket at his touch, sending unknown feelings down my body to my sex. 

Steve stops kissing my neck and turns me around to face him, his expression one of longing as he kisses my lips. Steve's hands tighten around my waist and pull me in closer to his body. My body takes control of itself and I reach up and intertwine my hands in his hair and deepen our kiss. My body starts to crave more, but Howards face pops into my mind and I stop. I push Steve away and try to catch my breath. "Steve we can't do this." I say not meeting his eyes. 

"Why?" he says. 

I look up into his eyes and say, "Because I can't." 

Steve clenches his jaw then says, "Maddy, I want this as much as you do." 

My body tenses and I know it's going to hurt him but I have to say it. "I don't want this." He lets go of me and looks deep into my eyes. 

"Steve, you don't love me. You're just doing this because I almost died tonight." 

Steve takes a couple steps back and says, "Maddy, you're wrong. I do love you." 

"No you don't Steve; you are just confused by your feelings for both me and Peggy. By the way Peggy is a beautiful woman, and I know she likes you." Steve turns and walks toward the door. 

Before he reaches it he turns and says, "You know it is possible to be in love with two people at once. You taught me that." Then he leaves my room.