Chapter 11 - Call of the Ocean

"Hey Maddy," Howard says as he reaches out his hand to me. I take it and he pulls me into him smiling brightly. "I was just telling Rogers here about you moving into our new place." I felt a sudden sense of panic run through my body. I fake a smile as I look up at Steve. I could tell he wasn't happy; but I really didn't care he hurt me bad and he can learn to deal. 

"It's beautiful Steve, you should really see it. I have my own room overlooking the sea." I watch as his expression changes into one of 'two can play that game' and he smiles. 

"I would love to see your home." 

I mentally slap myself. I hear someone off toward the bar holler for Howard and turn to see a young woman with bobbed brown hair waving at him. "Oh good, she's here. Maddy I have someone I want you to meet." He says as he waves her over to us. I look over to see Steve looking at her with longing and I knew who it was. I turned my attention back to her and see her face shining with brightness. She was definitely beautiful, in her dark red dress that split from her feet up to her thigh.

"Good evening Mr. Stark, Rogers." She says when she reaches us. 

"Hello Peggy, this is my fiancé Maddy." Howard says as I reach my hand out to shake hers.

 "It's a pleasure to meet you Maddy." 

I smile and as I say, "Likewise Peggy." 

We stand there for a few minutes then I start to feel uncomfortable. I look up at Howard and Steve to see them smiling and laughing back and forth with Peggy. I start to feel lonely and decide to make up an excuse to leave. As I walk away I let out a sigh of relief. I make my way over to where Helen was sitting. "What's wrong sweetheart?" she says as I near her. 

"I just feel a little uncomfortable that's all." She pats the chair next to her and I set down. 

"How about a drink?" I nod and she orders me a beer. The bartender delivers the beer and I chug half of it. "Oh wow you must really feel uncomfortable. I've never seen you chug your beer." 

I nod my head as I say, "Yea, just a little bit." She lets out a whistle then orders me another beer.

I smile as I say, "I guess I'm just not used to," I wave my hand around. 

"Oh Maddy, I'm sure you will get used to it, it may just take some time." I nod and look back over at Howard and them to see them laughing and smiling. 

"I think I wanna go home, Helen do you mind telling Mac that I'm not feeling too good." 

She smiles at me and says, "Of course not sweetie, don't worry I'll take care of everything." 

I smile and hug her. "Thank you Helen. What would I do without you?" 

She smiles back at me and says, "Let's hope you never have to find out." 

I smile and then head back to my dressing room. I quickly grab my stuff and sneak out the back door. I didn't want to interrupt Howard's conversation so I leave without him. I slowly walk down the street as I enjoy the night air. I didn't want to go back to Howard's house yet and I couldn't go back to my old apartment so I just decided to walk around. I decided to just walk around until I feel better. New York at night is one of the most beautiful yet dangerous places in the world. By the time I realized what time it was I had made my way to the sea shore. I look out at the moonlight gleaming off the ocean and suddenly feel the tears start to flood my eyes.

I fall into the sand grasping my arms. "What is wrong with me? Why couldn't I have lived a normal life and died a long time ago? Why did they have to die without me? God, Why did you do this to me?" I scream out into the ocean. I look around but since it's so late at night no one is around. I slowly start to walk into the freezing water. When the water is up to my hips I stop. How easy would it be to just leave and not look back? My body starts to shake from a mix of the water and the cold night air. All the sudden I feel dizzy and I start to sway back and forth. My head tells me to move but the cold water is numbing my feelings. I look back out over the water and see my mother looking back smiling at me her long flowing red hair waving in the breeze.

I smile and reach out to her, "I'm coming home momma." Then I fall backwards into the water but instead of fighting the water I let the current take me out to sea. My energy suddenly leaves my body and I close my eyes as the water engulfs me. I start to sink to the bottom of the sea floor when I open my eyes I look up to see the moonlight shining through the clear water. I watch as Howard and Steve's faces pop up in the moonlight. I smile and reach my hands up to touch them, but they are out of my reach. I frantically reach for them but I keep sinking. "Come home child..." I hear my mother's familiar voice whisper into my ear and my eyes start to close.