Chapter 33 - A warm Light

Minutes pass and I am punching the life out of a dummy in the gym when I hear Steve chime in on my headset, "Maddy, can you meet me in the lab?" 

"Sure," I say and I quickly clean myself up and walk to the lab where I see Tony and Bruce working on stuff. "Dr. Banner, Mr. Stark." I say as I enter the room. 

"Agent Maddy, to what do we owe this great pleasure?" Stark says and I smile. He reminds me so much of his father. 

"I just came to observe I guess you can say." He smiles and then I say, "So don't let me stop you." They nod and I watch as they return to their work.

 "The gamma readings are definitely consistent to Selvig's reports on the Tesseract. But it's gonna take months to process." Banner says as he hovers something over Loki's scepter. I block out all the scientifickie talk and just watch until I hear Tony say, "Well I promise a stress free environment. No surprises." Then he shocks Bruce and I jump up. 

"Hey," I turn to see Steve. "Are you nuts?"

"Jury's out." Tony says and I and Banner let out a little laugh. "You really have a hold on this. What are your secret bongo drums, huge bag of weed?" 

"Is everything a joke to you?" Steve asks and I can feel my temper start to rise.

"Funny things are."

 "Threatening the lives and safety of everyone on this ship isn't funny. No offense." He adds looking at Banner. 

"It's alright I wouldn't have come aboard if I couldn't handle pointy things." 

"You're tiptoeing big man, you need to strut." I can tell Steve is getting irritated when he says, "And you need to focus on the problem at hand, Mr. Stark." 

"You think I'm not, why did fury call us in? Why now? Why not before? What isn't he telling us? I can't do the equation unless I have all the variables." they look at me and I throw my hands up in the air. "You think Fury's hiding something?" 

"He's a spy Captain, he's the Spy. His secrets have secrets." Then he pops a handful of blueberries into his mouth. "It's been bugging him too." He says as he points to banner. 

"Uh I just wanna finish my work here and..."

 "Doctor?" I hear Steve say and I stand up. 

"A warm light for all mankind, Loki's jab at Fury about the cube, I think that was meant for you." He says as he points to Tony, which results in Tony offering him some blueberries.

"Even if Barton didn't tell Loki about the tower it was still all over the news."

 "Stark tower, that big ugly building in New York." 

"It's powered by and arc reactor as its main source, that thing should be able to run itself for what a year?" 

"And that's just the prototype." Tony says and then looks back at Steve and says, "I'm kinda the only name in clean energy right now that's what he's getting at." 

Bruce chimes back in by saying, "So why didn't shield bring him in on the Tesseract project. What are they doing in the energy business anyway?" 

"I should probably look into that once my decryption had finished breaking into all of Shields secure files." 

My face turns white and I hear Steve say, "I'm sorry did you say?" 

"Jarvis has been running it since I hit the bridge. In a few hours I'll know every little secret shield has tried to hide. Blueberry?" Tony says as he offers Steve a blueberry.

 "And you wonder why they didn't want you around." 

"An intelligence organization that fears intelligence, historically not awesome." 

"I think Loki's trying to wind us up. This is a man that's trying to start a war, and if we don't stay focused he'll succeed. We have orders we should follow them." 

"Following was never really my style." Tony says as he downs some more blueberries. 

"And you're all about style aren't you?" 

"Out of all of us here who is A: wearing a spangley outfit; and B: not a fuess?" I start to say something when I hear banner say, "Steve, tell me that none of this smells a little funky to you?"

 "Just find the cube." Steve says as he angrily leaves the room. I look at Tony and Banner and say, "I'll go talk to him." Tony nods and then stops me by saying, "Just out of curiosity what's your real name?" I take a deep breath and say, "Madeline Howlett." I say then I leave the room to find Steve.