Chapter 3 - Looks Don't Matter

Maddy's POV

Helen and Sarah the two girls that sing back up for me were already ready when I make it backstage. "Where have you been?" Helen says as she puckers her red lips up at then mirror and fluffs her gorgeous blonde hair. 

"Stupid alarm didn't go off." I say as I quickly grab my outfit and make my way to the divider to change clothes. 

"Uh huh, then who's the hunk that you came with?"

I feel my face blush as I say, "Which one?" 

Sarah's bobbed brown hair pops around the divider and says, "The good looking one of course."

 I feel my anger start to pulse as I said, "They are both good looking. You will have to be more specific." 

I watch as she rolls her brown eyes and says, "The tall one."

I sigh and say, "They are just some really good friends of mine." I see her mind whipping up some evil plan as she leaves the room.

"Goodness," I hear a squeaky little laugh from Helen and she says, "Don't worry about her. She just has a thing for men in uniform." 

I let out a laugh and say to myself, "Don't worry he has a thing for girls" 

"Two minutes girls!" our boss says as he opens our door. 

My gorgeous red show dress clings to all the right places and makes me look great. I walk out from behind the divider and smile at Helen. She looks back at me and says, "Maddy you look beautiful. Is that a gift from Howard?" 

I Shake my head, "Honestly I don't know." 

We share a laugh then she says, "Well either way it looks great on you." 

I smile and say, "Thank you Helen. At least I know I'll always have you." She hugs me tightly then turns back to her mirror. 

"Alright ladies." Our boss says as he opens our door.

"Mac!" I say before he leaves, "Yes doll," 

"I wanna sing a special song is that ok?" 

 The short stubby man looks over and says, "Of course doll just as long as everyone knows the words and sheet music." I smile and head toward the conductor. "Charlie!" I say to the conductor before he makes his way to the stage. "Yea doll?" 

"I wanna sing, 'Don't sit under the apple tree' by the Andrews sisters. Is that alright?" he smiles and says, "Of course doll." Then I make my way to my spot. Helen, Sara, and me all sing our hearts out to the showroom full of soldiers getting ready for deployment. Helen and Sara sang to all of them, even though I made it look like I was singing to everyone, I was really only singing to Steve.

When we were done I walked over to Steve and Bucky and smile as I ask, "So what did you think?" Bucky reached down and pulled me into a hug. 

"You look amazing." I hear him say into my ear, "Oh Bucky," I say as I slap his arm.

 Then I look at Steve and say, "What'd you think?" He smiles and says, "You were great." I feel myself start to blush and I quickly push it away. 

"Well we need to be going. It was great to see you before I left Maddy." Bucky says as he hugs me tight. "Don't you dare forget to write!" I say as I elbow him in the stomach. "Yes ma'am!" he says as he salutes me. I laugh to myself and then hug them both before they leave. I quickly go back to my job and put everything out of my mind.