Chapter 9 - Heartahe

Maddy's POV

As my apartment comes into view I see Steve sitting in front of my door fast asleep. I smile as I walk up to him and kneel down. He looks so sweet dreaming that I almost don't want to wake him up. I look at his lips and watch as he slowly breaths. I have the sudden urge to kiss him but I refrain from doing so. "Hey," I say as I gently touch his cheek. He slowly opens his beautiful blue eyes and groggily looks around. 

"Hey Maddy." 

I smile and helping him up say, "Hey to you too. Come on let's get you inside." I quickly unlock the door and we both walk into my apartment together. "Would you like a drink?" I say as I walk toward the kitchen.

"Water, please." He says still a little groggy. I grab a glass from the cabinet and start to fill it with water. I turn back to him and hand him the glass. "Thank you." He says then he takes a big gulp. "To what do I owe the pleasure of your visit?" He smiles and walks past me to my bedroom.

I feel the color fade from my face as I follow him. I watch as he reaches down and picks up the photo of Bucky, him, and me. "Have you heard from him?" He asks as he turns back toward me. I shake my head as I say, "Not since the night he left." I lean back against my door frame and wait. 

"I haven't heard from him either." 

"Steve?" he looks back at me, "Why did you come here?" I ask secretly wanting him to tell me that he loved me too; but my head doesn't want to hear it. I watch as he sets the picture frame down and walks back over to me. 

"Maddy, why do you love me?" 

I look up into his beautiful blue eyes and say, "Steve, you are the most honest and sweet person I have ever met. You put everyone else before yourself, no matter the consequences. I fell in love with the Steve Rogers I met that day I almost died." Steve's face was filled with anger as he remembered that day.

"Maddy, I care about you but I don't know if I love you." My heart clenches. "I think I may love someone else." My heart dropped. 

"Oh," I say trying to act surprised and also trying to hold back the tears. 

"I think I love Agent Carter." A knot welled up in my throat as I turned and walked back into the kitchen. I could hear his footsteps follow behind me. "Maddy, are you alright." I take a deep breath and turn back toward him. 

"I'm fine," I say lying. 

"Maddy I want us to go back to before when we were just friends, is that ok?" 

I fake a smile and say, "Yeah that's fine." I feel my heart start to break, and I quickly hide the pain.

 "Well I better go." Steve says as he starts to walk toward the door, I silently follow him holding back the tears. He opens my door and as he steps out he turns to me and smiles his amazing smile and says, "I'll see you later at the club to say goodbye ok?" I nod and wave as he walks down the stairs. I quickly close my door and fall to the floor crying my heart out. 

Still crying, I stand and make my way into my bedroom. I throw myself down on my bed and curl up into the fetal position and ball my eyes out. I look over at the picture of Steve, Bucky, and me and pick it up. I have the sudden urge to throw it across the room but I refrain. I don't want to hurt Bucky, so I quickly open the frame and bend the picture so that only Bucky and I were showing and then stick the frame back onto my nightstand and laid my head on my pillow and cried myself to sleep.