Chapter 7 - A new House

"We're here." He says as he opens the door. He takes my hand to help me out of the car, I look around to see nothing but a house built on a cliff overlooking the ocean. The very site of it takes my breath away. "What do you think?" I hear him say as he closes the car door. I turn back to him and say, "It's beautiful, but what are we doing here?" He smiles and leads me up to the door. I look back at him and wait for his reply. He smiles his bright smile and opens the door. The house was fully furnished with a gorgeous black piano right next to the winding staircase that led both up and downstairs. "So?" Howard asks as I walk over to the piano and run my fingers over it. 

"It's beautiful; but Howard, what is all this?" he walks up to me and says, "These past few weeks away from you have been excruciating. There hasn't been a day when I haven't thought of you. Maddy," he takes my hands in his and looks down into my icy eyes and says, "I want you to live here. I don't feel comfortable with you living in that old run-down apartment anymore." I look around momentarily forgetting about Steve and our passionate kiss.

"You want me to live here? In this beautiful mansion of a house." I looked back into his deep brown eyes and say, "Why?" 

He looks at me and says, "Maddy, I love you." 

My jaw drops as my breathing stops. "What?" I say trying to think of what to tell him.

His brown eyes shine down into mine and my heart clenches, "Maddy, please live here and when this war is over, marry me." My eyes start to tear up and I open my mouth to speak but nothing comes out. "You don't have to say yes now. I want you to think about it, and after the war is over I want to hear your answer, okay?" I smile and nod. "Good, here follow me. I want to show you your room." I take his hand and follow him upstairs and down the hall. My room was the second on the right. 

I open the door to see a gorgeous bed centering the room. I find myself speechless as I look around at everything, "Howard, I'm speechless." I say as I walk over to the window. I look out it and see the moonlight reflecting off the ocean.

I smile as I see Steve's face in my mind. "So you'll stay here, for me?" I turn back to him and nod. "Thank you Maddy," he says as he walks over, leans down, and kisses me. His kisses are like fire, burning my mouth with fiery passion. I pull away and look up to see Steve's face looking back at me. He smiles and I kiss him. My heart screams out to him saying I love you. Its thoughts echoing in my kisses. 

"Maddy," I hear Howard say and my eyes flash open and I pull away. 'What are you doing?' my head screams at me. 'You love Steve!' then my heart chimes in saying, 'But you also love Howard.' I turn back toward the window and stare out it. Howard wraps his arms around me and says, "This war needs to end fast." I intertwine my arms with his and lean back into him and close my eyes. The scent of the ocean surrounds me and I think of that moment on the beach with Steve. My heart clenches when I think about him. 'What do I do?' I ask myself as I tighten my grip on Howard. 'Oh how I wish Bucky was here; he'd be able to help me.'

"Well my dear it's late. Would you like to try out your new room or go back to your apartment?" I open my eyes and turn to face him. 

"After work tomorrow, I'll start staying here." 

He leans down and kisses my forehead as he says, "You promise." 

I hug him tightly and say, "I promise." 

We walked back down the stairs, out the front door, and got back into the car. He tightly held my hand as we drove back to my apartment. He starts to get out of the car and I stop him. "You need to get some rest. I can walk myself in." 

I watch as he looks at his watch and says, "Are you sure?" 

I smile and say, "The world needs their genius more than I need to be walked to my door." 

He laughs and says, "True. Well goodnight Maddy." 

I smile and closing the car door I say, "Goodnight Howard." 

When I reach the door to my apartment building I turn back to see his car driving away and I let out a sigh. "What do I do?" I say as I turn back and open the apartment building door. I slowly make my way up to my apartment. I hear someone walking down the stairs and see my neighbor Mrs. Johnson walking down the stairs with her teacup poodle in her arms. Mrs. Johnson is an older lady about in her sixties. Anyone could tell that she had been a beautiful woman in her younger years. Her hair a mixture of gray and black, that hung down to her waist. "Good evening Maddy," 

I smile back at her as I say, "Good evening to you Mrs. Johnson. How are you tonight?" 

She smiles and says, "I'm doing great dearie," 

I smile and start to walk back up the spiral stair case when she stops me by saying, "Oh Maddy, you have a visitor waiting by your door. A handsome young man in a uniform." 

I stop, "Oh," I say as I look up the stairs. 

"Seems like such a nice young man, if only I was twenty years old again." I smile and say goodnight as I walk up the stairs.