Chapter 25 - 12%

Tony's POV

"Good to go on this end. The rest is up to you." Tony says as he resurfaces from the depths of the ocean in the ironman suit. 

"You disconnected the transmission lines, are we off the grid?" he hears Pepper say. 

"Stark Tower is about to become a beacon of clean self-sustaining energy." 

"Well, assuming the arc reactor takes over and it actually works," 

Tony smiles to himself as he says, "I assume, light her up." 

"How does it look?" Pepper asks after she throws the switch. 

"Like Christmas, but with more me." 

"We've gotta go wider on the public awareness campaign you need to do some press. I'm in D.C. tomorrow I'm working on the zoning for the next three buildings..." 

"Pepper, your killing me. The moment, remember enjoy the moment." 

"Then get in here and I will." Tony lands on the balcony of his building and the machines start to remove the ironman suit. "Sir Agent Coulson of SHILED is on the line." His A.I. Jarvis says. 

"I'm not in, I'm actually out." He says as the machines remove his helmet.

 "Sir, I'm afraid he's insisting." 

"Grow a spine Jarvis, I gotta date." He says as he walks into his office where Pepper is waiting. 

"Levels are holding steady, I think?" Pepper says as she stares at the monitor. 

"Of course they are. I was directly involved. Which brings me to my next question, how does it feel to be a genius?" 

"Well ha I really wouldn't know." She says turning around to face him. 

"What do you mean; all of this came from you." 

"No, all of this came from that." she says and she points to the arc reactor in his chest.

"Give yourself some credit. Please, Stark Tower is your baby. Give yourself twelve percent of the credit." 

"Twelve percent?" 

"An argument could be made for fifteen." 

"Twelve percent of my baby?" Pepper says as she walks past him toward the other side of the room.

 "Well I did do all the heavy lifting. Literally I lifted the heavy things. Sorry but the security snafu, that was on you." 

"Oh!!"She says as she starts to pour up two glasses of champagne. 

"My private elevator," 

"You mean our private elevator?" 

"It was teeming with sweaty workmen. I gonna pay about that comment about percentages in some subtle way later aren't I?" 

"Won't be that subtle." Pepper says as she hands him his glass of champagne. 

"Tell ya what next building, is gonna say Potts on the tower," 

"On the lease." 

"Call your mom can you bunk over?" Pepper starts to laugh when Jarvis chimes in saying, "Sir the telephone, I'm afraid my protocols are being overwritten." 

"Mr. Stark?" Tony hears Coulson say from the other end of the phone. 

"Uh, you have reached the life model decoy of Tony Stark. Please leave a message."

 "This is urgent." 

"Then leave it urgently." Then the elevator doors open to reveal Coulson holding something with his phone up to his ear. "Security breech! This ones on you." He says as he points at Pepper.

 "Mr. Stark?" 

"Phil, come in." Pepper says as she stands up and starts to walk over to him. 

"Phil?" Tony says as he stars to follow her. 

"I'm sorry I can't stay." Coulson says as he puts his phone away. 

"Um his first name is Agent." 

"Come on in, we're celebrating." 

"Which is why he can't stay." 

Coulson holds up the device to Stark and says, "We need you to look this over." 

"I don't like to be handed things." 

"Which is fine because I love to be handed things, here let's trade." Pepper says as she hands Coulson her glass and takes the device, then hands it to tony and takes his glass. 

"Official consulting hours are between eight and five every other Thursday." 

"This is not a consultation."

 "Is this about the avengers? Which I knew nothing about." Tony takes the device and walks over and plugs it in to his computer system. 

"Psh, the avengers' initiative was scrapped I thought, and I didn't even qualify." 

"I didn't know that either."

 "Yeah apparently I'm volatile, self-obsessed, don't play well with others." 

"That, I did know." 

"This isn't about personality profiles anymore."

 "Yeah whatever, Miss Potts? Gotta second." Pepper holds up a finger and says, "Half a moment." Then walks over to his side. "You know, I thought we were having a moment?" 

"I was having twelve percent of a moment." Tony looks at her and smirks. "This seems serious, Phil is a bit shaken."

 "How would you know this...? Why is he Phil?" 

"What is all this?" 

"This is a, this" he says as he moves the files to screens around his office. Pepper takes a deep breath then says, "I'm going to take the jet to D.C. tonight." 

"Tomorrow." 

"You have homework, a lot of homework." 

"Well what if I didn't?" 

"You mean when you're done? Well um..." Then she leans in and whispers something in his ear. "Square deal fly safe." Tony says as he kisses her goodbye.

 "Work hard." She says as she turns to leave. "So any chance you're driving past Lavonia?" 

"I can drop you." 

"Fantastic, oh I wanna hear about the cellist, is that still a thing?"

 "She moved back to Portland." 

"What!" Tony turns around and they are gone. He takes a deep breath then starts in on his 'Homework'.