Chapter 24 - The Mission

Steve's POV

He had watched Addie walk toward the door as he punched the bag. He couldn't quite put his finger on why he felt like he could tell her anything. "Trouble sleeping?" He hears a male voice say and he turns toward it. "Slept for seventy years sir, I think I've had my feel." He says as he continues hitting the punching bag. "You should be out celebrating, seeing the world." Steve stops and looks at Fury. Then he turns and unwrapping his hands says, "When I went under the world was at war, I wake up they say we won. They didn't say what we lost." 

"We've made some mistakes along the way. Some very recently." 

"You here with the mission sir?"

 "I am" 

"Trying to get me back in the world?"

 "Trying to save it," then Fury hands him a folder. Steve takes it and looks down to see the Tesseract. 

"Hydra's secret weapon." 

"Howard Stark fished that out of the Ocean when he was looking for you." Steve's face shot up. "He thought what we think; the Tesseract could be the key to unlimited sustainable energy. That's something the world sorely needs." 

Steve closes the file and handing it back to Fury says, "Who took it from you?" 

"His name is Loki. He's not from around here. There is a lot we will need to bring you up to speed on if you're in. The world has gotten even stranger than you already know." 

Steve takes a deep breath and stands up saying, "At this point I doubt anything would surprise me."

 "Ten bucks says your wrong." 

"There is a debriefing packet waiting for you at your apartment upstairs, is there anything you would like to tell us about the Tesseract that we ought to know now?" 

"You should have left it in the ocean." Then he walks upstairs leaving Fury alone. He passes another female agent with brown hair on his way. When he walks inside the apartment he sees Addie with her face in her hands sitting on the couch. "Addie? Are you ok?" 

Maddy's POV

Maddy felt her legs give out from beneath her as she looked into Maria's eyes. "Are you sure Fury wasn't mistaken about Barton?" 

"I'm Sorry Maddy but even I saw it with my own eyes." 

"Did anyone tell Widow?" 

Maria nodded and then said, "She's on her way to Calcutta to bring in Banner." My face widened with horror. 

"Fury sent her to bring in the Hulk?!" I start to pace back and forth stewing with anger. 

"Yes ma'am." 

"Has he lost his mind? What if something happens and the Hulk is released? Nat is strong but she's not that strong."

 "Fury also sent about fifty agents with her. They are equipped with the tools to knock out the Hulk." I nod and take a deep breath. 

"Maddy, there will be a car waiting to take you and Steve to the airport where you will be transported to the helicarrier."

 I nod and say, "Thank you Maria, sorry I'm just a little tense." She nods and turns and leaves. When I am sure she is gone she lets the tears start to flood down her face.

A few moments pass when she hears a familiar voice say, "Addie are you ok?" I pull my face out of my hands and say, "I'll be ok. Hurry and pack we leave in ten." Steve knew she was hiding something but he decided to wait to say anything. He walked past her to his room and started packing.

 Ten minutes later I am waiting by the front door with my bug out bag filled with picture suitcase filled with Tony's pictures and I had added the pictures of Bucky, Howard, and Steve to the mixture. I hold in my hand Steve's debriefing packet. I'm about to leave when my phone rings. "Agent Howlett?" I say as I answer it and put it up to my ear. 

"Maddy its Phil, I have to make a quick stop at Stark tower to give Tony his debriefing packet, but I was wondering..." 

I smile already knowing what he's gonna say, "Of course Phil, we'll pick you up before we hit the airport." 

"Thank you Maddy." 

"You're welcome." I say as I hang up the phone and holler for Steve. 

Minutes later he joins me and we walk down the stairs and out to the car. When we are inside I say to the driver, "Stark Tower." He nods and we surge off into traffic. I look over at Steve to see him looking out his window and say, "Here you go Steve, just so you know what we're up against." He smiles as he takes it from me then we spend the rest of the way to Stark Tower with me explaining how to use his debriefing pad.