Chapter 5 - New Steve

A few weeks past before I heard anything from anyone, I was at sitting at the bar on my day off thinking about my feelings toward Howard and Steve. "Is this seat taken?" I hear a deep voice say. I turn to see Steve standing beside me. 

"Steve?" I say as I take him in. 

He smiles down at me and says, "Hi Maddy," I look him up and down to see that he had grown about three feet and his body was ripped. 

"What happened to you?" I say as I look back up into his blue eyes, at least they hadn't changed.

 "Let's just say I grew up." 

I smile up into his blue eyes and say, "Well, I like you either way." 

He smiled back down at me and said as he took my hand, "Do you want to go somewhere to talk?" I nod and follow him outside. Once we are outside he takes my arm and we walk down the street heading toward the train station. "So how've you been?" he says trying to make small talk. 

"I've been getting by." He smiles and looks ahead. I look around to see everyone staring at us. I could tell all the girls wanted him, which made me a little jealous. I tightened my grip as we made it to the station.

"Wait here." Steve said as he walked up to the ticket booth. 

I look around to see all the women looking at Steve. "Go on Stacy. Go talk to him. He's clearly alone." I hear someone say behind me and I feel my anger rise. I turn and look at them; the girls couldn't have been older than fifteen.

 I put on my sweetest smile and walk up to them, "Excuse me girls," I say as I near them. 

"What do you want?" they say all rude and hateful. 

I lose it, "First little girls," my voice gets all vicious and deep, "He is too old for you, and second he is already taken, so back off!" I watch as they roll their eyes and then walk away. 

"Maddy!" he says and I turn back to him with a smile on my face. 

When we're on the train I look at him and say, "Steve," he turns toward me and says, "Yes." I look away and down at my fingers as I say, "What happened to you? Really," he looked back out the window and told me the story about Dr. Abraham Erskine and the super soldier serum.

How Howard helped them, and also about an Agent Peggy; His face lit up when he talked about her. "Oh Maddy, she is such a wonderful woman. I've only ever known one other woman like her." He reaches over and tilts my face up to see his. "You." 

I smile and a tear falls from my eye and I say, "Oh Steve. I don't know what to say." I reach up and pull his hand down to hold it tightly in mine. I listened patiently as he finished his story and by the time he finished we reached Coney Island Station. 

"What are we doing here?" I ask when we step off the train. 

"We're going to go down to the beach." 

I smile and he leads me down to the beach and I take my heels off to let the sand engulf my feet. I look over to see Steve removing his shoes too and smile. We spent the entire night walking under the silvery moon and talking to each other. Everything seemed to being going great when he asked.

"So how serious are you and Howard? He seems like a great man." I stop and look up into his eyes. They were filled with sadness. 

"Howard and I haven't spoken since the night you both left. I thought he had moved on, especially with his reputation for doing so." 

Steve turned toward me and placed his hands on my shoulders and said, "I didn't even know you two knew each other until I saw your picture in his pocket watch. We talked about you for a while after the accident. He really cares about you."

I look down at my feet and say, "I don't know if I feel the same anymore." 

Steve reached up and softly ran his hand across my cheek as he said, "There was something I wanted to ask you. That night that I left," 

I feel my face start to blush as I say, "Yes?" he shakes his head and pulls his hand back down and turns away. "What's wrong Steve?" I say grabbing his arm. I marvel at its tightness as I hold it. 

"I can't." he says looking up at the Ferris wheel. 

"Steve just say it." 

he turns back to me and says, "Just forget I said anything." Then he starts to walk ahead of me. 

I could feel my heart start to hurt again and that night flashed through my head and panicking I say, "Steve Rogers, I love you."