Chapter 22 - Welcome Back Steve

Year 2012

"Agent Howlett, I have some news regarding Captain America." Director Fury says as he walks into the training area where Agent Widow and I are sparing. As soon as I hear Steve's name I freeze leaving myself open and finding Widow's fist in my stomach. "Oaf." I say as I grab my stomach. I quickly walk over to Fury and say, "Yes sir?" 

He folds his arms over his chest as he says, "Captain America has been located. He is on his way here now. I need you to follow me." 

I nod and say, "Yes sir." I wave to Widow as I follow Fury outside. When we are alone he briefs me on the situation and tells me that Steve has been frozen for the past seventy years. "Director Fury, I must ask you a question."

 "Yes Agent?"

 "What would you like me to do sir?" 

Fury walks over to the door and before leaving says, "I need you to help him readjust to life here in the 21st century." 

I nod as I say, "With all due respect sir, I do not want him to know my true identity, permission to use my code name?" 

"Permission granted." Then he leaves and I let out a huge sigh. 

"What am I going to do?" I feel someone around me and I automatically know who it is, "You do realize eavesdropping gets people killed."

I turn to see Agent Coulson standing behind me. "My apologies, Maddy." 

I shake my head as I say, "It's alright Phil. I guess you're excited to meet him." 

Phil nods and says, "I hope to get him to sign my collector's cards." 

I smile as I say, "He most likely will." I excuse myself and go to my room and start to change. I look in my mirror and say, "Goodbye miss Howlett and hello Honey Badger." I quickly change and make my way to the room where they are keeping Steve. 

As I open the door I look over to see a young girl dressed like she was from the forties sitting in a chair overlooking Steve. He is sprawled out on a bed fast asleep. Seeing him like this reminds me of the night he was fast asleep at my front door. I smile then I hear fury's voice in my head piece and I turn and walk out the door. "Honey Badger, we need you here at the front." 

"Yes sir." I say heading to the reception desk. As I reach the desk I hear the alarms go off and I see Steve running past me.

"What the hell?" I say as Fury and I head off after him. When Steve finally stops, Fury looks at me and tells me to stay put. I watch through the window of the SUV and find myself wanting to go to him. Fury and Steve walk back to the car and I straighten in my seat. "Captain Rogers this is Honey Badger. She will be helping you reinter society." He looks at me but doesn't seem to notice me. 

"Nice to meet you Captain." I say as I shake his hand. 

"Likewise Honey Badger." 

 As we made our way back to the building I kept glancing over at Steve to see if he recognized me. "A lot has happened since you've been asleep Cap." Fury said as we pulled up outside. 

 "I can see that." 

I look over at fury and say, "Sir, would you like me to escort Captain America up to his room?" 

Fury opens his door and steps out then turns to me and says, "Agent Honey Badger, please take the Captain to your house and get him settled."

 I freeze, "But Sir wouldn't the captain be more comfortable here?"