Chapter Eight : Cynic

Four days past in a blur. Nothing new, noting different. He used to come back to the castle at the late hour of night to find his wife all plain and beautiful without any expression whatsoever except for those of confusion or blankness. He would either see her sleeping or standing at the glass window staring at the night sky and would offer him a little services that weren't expected of her but she did it any way like offering him a glass of water when he returned back.

She never talked, never smiled, never showed any affection towards him. It was okay with him, he thought. If she doesn't have any other man's thought, it didn't bother him by her lifeless behaviour. At times, he would lay down beside her sleeping form and gently stroke her hair, examining her beauty and once kissed her cheek.

He can take her by force but there was something that told him to wait rather than forcing her at once. It could make the conditions worse moreover there was a part of him scared that he won't be able to control his blood lust. Especially when your prey is right before you with the blood pure and sweet enough to lure you to drain her out of life. It were strange feelings, he thought but it would be wise to do it slowly.

One of these nights when Henry was returning back, his second in command was speaking his mind out , he chose to remain silent and let the lad speak whatever he wanted to then put objection to the faults. The night was calm like his mood, a slow breeze racing across and a while later they reached the castle.

"..and thus I think it would be better to put more emphasis on this matter, Sire." He ended his speech on how his plan was more influential than that of other members. Henry nodded and replied, "We will discuss of this tomorrow on whether previous plans be terminated or we send a small army to crush that town and take over the local ruler." He never liked overthinking on menial issues regarding small towns and their corrupt rulers. Over thinking spoils everything and in fact no body is these days is an actual saint. Just filthy people with fake masks.

He dismissed the man and even his guards to take a walk alone in the gardens.

The cool breeze brushed against his skin and his chocolate brown hair, moving it slightly out of place. There was no one present but him and the slight moonlight highlighted his features as he walked in further into the woods. Henry looked around, something felt queer. A twig snapped under his feet as he continued taking steps forward but then stopped when he heard an unfamiliar sound. Henry turned his head to the east and narrowed his eyes. There was something or someone. Walking towards the east direction, he moved a branch of the bush to get a clear view when his eyes focused on two figures communicating with each other at some distance. It was difficult to make out who they were but probably a couple. The man was tall and lean covered his body and face with a thick black cloth like a shawl and so did the lady but her face was left slightly uncovered. Her blue eyes shone beautifully and he narrowed his eyes having a strange feeling of knowing the lady. A lose strand of hair brushed across her face, she moved slightly and the moonlight fell upon her face as she smiled. It instantly irritated Henry's nerves, knowing the girl's none but his queen.

The man suddenly encircled his arms around Rose and pulled her close. He constantly rubbed his hands around her and said something that made her smile sweetly. Henry was raged to see his Rose cheating on him. This explains her nature towards him, he thought. His hands crumpled up into fists and again there was a sound of someone approaching. The sound being conspicuous made Rose flinch away from the man and look around in worry. Might be the guards, she thought. She glanced around once again then said softly, 'I have to go...' and left in a hurry towards the castle.

Before Henry could step out of the bush and capture the man he vanished in thin air.

A non-human creature, he thought. He searched him in that same place but he left without any trace. But one.

'What a fool', Henry thought.

***********

Back at the castle she sat down on a seat reading a book and occasionally glancing at the stars. It had been a while then when the door knob twisted open and the King entered in, he had a cloudy expression. Unreadable, she thought. She closed her book and stood up. Placing the book on table, she lifted her head to find him standing right before her. It made her heartbeat race fast, his eyes were darker than usual and he looked no good.

"Where were you an hour ago?" He asked. His voice was rough and demanding.

Confused she replied softly, "Here in this room, Your grace."

He extended his arm towards her which made her step back and squeeze her eyes shut. But it didn't stop him.

What was he thinking to do to her, she thought. His hand slid on the crook of her neck and he pulled something out from her hair. Rose opened her eyes to see him scanning a small leaf between his finger and her hand instantly travelled to the pendant she was wearing. She clutched the heart shaped material tightly in her hand, something she did when worried. What was he doing? What did he want? Why was he acting like that? Questions fired in her mind because of anxiety.

"This explains otherwise." He spoke calmly and looked at her. Then she remembered that in the evening she went for a stroll in the garden.

"I went for a walk in the gardens this evening." She said searching for his eyes.

He nodded curtly as he watched the leaf with somewhat deep interest then shot her a glare, "What makes you think, you can lie to me?" His question left her off guard and her lips were slightly ajar.

Author's Note:

Those guys who have already read the previous unedited story please don't post spoilers and detroit the reading experience. Thank you.

*************