Chapter Seventeen : Escape

Rose POV:                                                 

He is coming. Getting closer with every passing second. I can hear his heavy footsteps behind me, pounding on the rough ground, hard. What have I gotten myself into? A moment ago I felt ecstatic and protected with him but I realised that I was so naive, so ignorant about my past, about him.

My heart is going crazy with fear poisoning my mind. All the moments I survived, haunting my soul and mind in the worst way not helping me give any courage in this situation. I ran away because I just cannot face him. He will punish me, torture me, hurt me and kill me eventually, then my parents. But just to survive his rage I accepted my guilt in the past. Even though I didn't betray him. Now, he has a proper reason to blame and kill me, that I accepted about that night with a man whom I don't even know.

I left the palace in such a hurry, tripping over several times but never stopping. At first I heard his footsteps later accompanied by his voice, beckoning me as I went deeper into the dense dark forest away from the palace. I can't return because if I do I won't survive. If I disobey, it will still get me in trouble. Its either do or die. This is my last chance to escape him, this seems so impossible but deep down my heart I have a hope that I'll flee his grasp.

My skirt not helping me run and my knees going weak. Panting heavily, I stopped. Taking the support of the tree bark beside me I put a hand on my heaving chest, then gulping down I turned around.

Oh no, he is coming!

Despite exhaustion, I sprinted again only to be tripped down. A gasp escaped my mouth as my skirt was caught by a branch, I tried hard freeing myself with shaky fingers but in vain since it was stuck. Without giving a second thought, I gathered some strength to tear my skirt up and kick the slippers aside to continue on my run.

********

********

Henry's POV:

I chased her out of the ball room. I remembered the fear in those sapphire eyes, the blood rushing in her skin, her breathing becoming heavy, panic obvious in her.

I could catch her in seconds with my vampire speed but I chose not to. I didn't want to scare her, not again, never. I don't want her to run away from me, it breaks me to see her getting away from me. I knew this, I had imagined this coming but never thought it would be this upsetting.

She ran with all her strength, sometimes tripping, but never ceasing her pace. I wanted to catch her, hold her, caress her and reassure her that I will never hurt her again. I called her name again and again, begging her to stop but she wouldn't and why would she even, for a beast?