Chapter Forty Five : Hallucinations

[Unedited]

*** ** ***

Karen's POV :

I stood alone in a barren land with dust swirling around me, messing my hair, dirtying my dress and eroding my thoughts.

I couldn't tell what was about to happen and I took a step ahead when the whole land seeped below my feet just like water drained down. The harsh and hot dusty wind had changed into a cooler one with a soothing tinge. I looked up to see that the scorching sun had been replaced by the silent moon and twinkling stars.

I glanced around myself and found that I stood in a cemetery with sepulchers around me and the souls that rested underneath. A particular pair of graves gleamed and made me attracted to it without my consent.

I removed the twigs and dust from the stone and read the name from the first one, 'In the beloved memory of John Wilkin, loving husband and father. Died in the year..' I continued reading the entire description and moved to the next grave stone which had the name Marie Wilkin, a loving wife and mother.

My conscience felt strange that I was seeing the graves of people I never heard of. But there was an urge that wanted me to. When I was done, I stepped back and suddenly the whole cemetery vanished with a glimpse of bright light that spread itself rapidly and blinded me until, the sound of a crying infant brought my sight and sense back.

I opened my eyes being unsure and the sky had a purple and orange hue. The sun had set and the cemetery was replaced with a small yet beautiful cottage with an old woman at the patio on a rocking wooden chair, humming a tune and reading a book.

I stood there and watched an oldman come to the scene holding a baby wrapped in white cloth, crying bitterly. I felt certain pity and quickly walked to the baby but the oldman passed right through my body without noticing me as if I didn't exist.

I placed a hand on my chest to make sure I was real and then turned behind to see the man take the baby to the old woman who smiled at the child and took her in arms with much care.

I stood quietly and smiled at them. They seemed happy with the child, caressing and playing with it. A certain floral scent evaded my nostrils and I closed my eyes, pulling my head slightly back to have more of the sweet fragrance. It felt so refreshing and familiar.

"Karen.."

I made a face and shook my head. I didn't want anyone disturbing me but this voice seemed so desperate calling me.

"Karen.."

I winced at it and scrunched my nose when a pair of hands shook my hand slightly.

Slowly, I opened my eyes and with my blurry vision I saw a pair of sea green eyes looking down at me.

I rubbed my eyes and sat up abruptly when his hand rubbed my back gently.

"Calm down, sister. It's just me." I heard Nigel speak and I watched him speechless.

He smiled warmly and spoke, "How are you now?"

"Slightly better." Responding to his question rubbed his hand and muttered, "It was a dream but it felt like something real from the past."

Nigel patted my head and chuckled, "You have been taking things too much to your head."

"Its not funny." I whispered and the smile on his face vanished.

"Where's Rose?"

"We shall find her soon, dear. Don't worry." He wrapped his arms around me and gave a tight brotherly hug.