Chapter Nineteen : Console

Seven days. Seven days since Rose met him and was bewildered at sudden change in attitude of Henry. For the first time, he apologised. How and why would he? Being a regal and egoistic monarch what could possibly make him that vulnerable and apologetic.

He was uncertain, unpredictable, secretive and mysterious, she thought fiddling with the blue sapphire pendant that hung around he neck by a plain silver chain. She sat down alone in the library holding one of her indulging books and strange thing about it was that she was not focusing on the words of book but the words of that very man took her breathe away in both painful as well as affectionate way.

He was hard and cold as a stone, hot and burning like a fire. Cruel, scary, attractive and striking like a deceiving beast that he was, a vampire. Like a goodly apple rotten at the heart. A villain with a smiling cheek. His eyes, his face, his voice, everything, his everything was hallucinating. She furrowed her eyebrows at the sentences she just thought. She shivered at the mere thought of his bad side that she saw.

How is it even possible to hate a man so much and yet get attracted to him. It confused her so much that she shook her head and stood up at that instance to do something else and get her wandering mind out of the clouds. Clouds that included vapours of him.

On her way out of the library she collided with someone. Rubbing her forehead with her fingers she opened her eyes and muttered a sorry. Her apology only to be synchronized with that of Mr. Aldrick.

"Forgive me, Your Grace, I didn't see you." Rose frowned at his apology clearly not liking it. It was she who wasn't careful and not looking.

"No, Mr. Aldrick its my fault. I must apologise. I wasn't... attentive." She spoke in her soft voice.

Mr. Aldrick's face lit up for a moment but then it was quickly replaced by a pale and sad face. His head bowed down in defeat.

"Why the long face Mr. Aldrick?" Rose asked concerned. She never liked it when someone was sad. A clear contrast of nature to that of Henry's, who in turn enjoyed people's pain.

"Your Highness. There is... There is something that I need to inform you about."

*****

King Henry's POV:

I fiddled with the scepture in my hand thinking how sadly comical it is that a trouble or pain doesn't come single handedly but with multiples in series. Rose had already been so broken and sad. Of course by me. My vile, selfish and cruel self.

How would the poor girl react after knowing that her old mother is no longer alive?

I pity her, I want to show her my sympathy but that wouldn't do her any good after all I have done there is hardly any scope of my Rose believing me. I sent Mr. Aldrick to her to supply her the news in a comfortable way. I couldn't do it. If I did, there is possibility that she would doubt me in some manner. I know she would come to me to ask for my permission to see her mother one last time. But I may not be able to bear her sadness.

The council was already dismissed. I wanted some time alone. Staying in the crowd for a long duration of time is not my cup of tea even if I am a king. Most of my life I have been alone, I enjoy it but sometimes its hurting that no one is there to actually ask about you or care for you. Mr. Aldrick has done enough but the bond is not that strong neither do I have feelings to get emotionally attached with someone and think of them as a family. My father had pushed me into a rough life at a tender age. The main lessons that I have been taught were that of being a good fighter, hard and ruthless as a stone, scheming and knowledgeable like a good ruler and never show affection in any such way and trust anyone even if it is your family. They said it was my way to success and to certain point I thought it was true but now, I don't.