Chapter 1: Damaged

I thought I could post this now rather than wait. You all have been so patient and lovely! (btw, still taking character forms--I think I'm going to find a way to squeeze in ALL submissions that I get, if not then MOST. I've loved them so much. the first of many will be introduced a few pages into this chapter!)

------------------------------------------------------------

["Cool for the Summer" by Demi Lovato.]

As the piano played, Julie stood in the center of the stage, her head down. When it was time for her to sing, she looked up and the crowd began to go wild.

Julie: Tell me what you want. What you like. It's okay. I'm a little curious too. Tell me if it's wrong. If it's right. I don't care. I can keep a secret can, you?

She smiled and walked towards the edge of the stage, where some of her biggest fans were reaching their arms out for her as she inched closer.

Julie: Got my mind on your body. And your body on my mind. Got a taste for the cherry. I just need to take a bite... Don't tell your mother. Kiss one another. Die for each other. We're cool for the summer.

She began to dance as best as she could. This song had gotten harder and harder to do over the last few weeks and now that it was getting closer to the end of the summer, she was glad she could put it behind her for a while.

***

Julie: Take me down into your paradise. Don't be scared cause I'm your body type. Just something that we wanna try. Cause you and I. We're cool for the summer.

Backstage, Alex bobbed his head along to the beat, knowing every single word to it by now. Beside him, Tracy was busy Tweeting her fans before she went on to perform the closing number. Her summer tour was coming to a close so everyone was scrambling for tickets to her last shows, many of them just to see Julie.

Julie: Tell me if I won. If I did. What's my prize? I just wanna play with you, too. Even if they judge. Fuck it, I'll do the time. I just wanna have some fun with you.

Since they were in Tracy's dressing room, there was very little for Alex to do other than hear the sound from the arena coming from the speakers above them, so he slumped down and sighed, desperate for this tour to be over so that he could have a life again.

He turned to Tracy and asked, "You're just doing two songs and then it's over, right?"

Tracy nodded. "Would've already done them if she didn't give in to every single request for an encore." She rolled her eyes, referring to Julie and her popularity. "It feels like everyone's just here for her now."

Julie: Got my mind on your body. And your body on my mind. Got a taste for the cherry. I just need to take a bite. Don't tell your mother. Kiss one another. Die for each other. We're cool for the summer.

Alex moved in closer and shook his head. "Not everyone," he assured her before leaning in and kissing her lips. They had only been seeing each other for about three weeks but he had vowed to be a better boyfriend this time around.

Julie: Take me down into your paradise. Don't be scared cause I'm your body type. Just something that we wanna try. Cause you and I. We're cool for the summer. We're cool for the summer. We're cool for the summer...

***

Other frequent guests at Tracy's concerts were Amity, Dan and Shana. The first two, of course, were there as the opening act, while the latter was there to support her friends and perhaps gain herself a few popularity points in the process.