Chapter 80: My Broken Heart

This was going to be the last chapter in the book but it turned out to be SO LONG that I split it into THREE PARTS (so far, the third one is still being written and may end up being split if it goes on for much longer). Enjoy this, I will post the follow up some time tomorrow probably! 
------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, May 11, 2022 -- 17 DAYS BEFORE THE WEDDING

Crystal Army: Nobody, nobody. Nobody can drag me down. Nobody, nobody. Nobody can drag me down. Nobody, nobody. Nobody can drag me down. Nobody, nobody. Nobody can drag me down.  

The crowd cheered as the Crystal Army guys ran off the stage for an intermission. Their tour screens came up to keep the crowd busy and they were met backstage by their crew and roadies ready with water bottles and hand towels for the sweat. 

"Great job, Daddy," Julie said as she greeted Sam backstage. He smiled at her as she bounced Gaby in her arms. Beside her, Amity was carrying Izzy. 

"There they are," Sam said, giving each baby a kiss on the cheek. "Have they been watching for a while?"

"No, I don't want to have them by the noise so much," Julie shook her head. "They actually just woke up but they were really digging the song."

"That's because we rock," Tyler told her. "I have to go empty my bladder so if you ladies will excuse me."

Alex greeted Julie and the babies and then gave Ruby a hug. "So far so good?" he asked her.

"Yeah," she nodded. "It's been another amazing show."

"Great," he told her. "Because I have a little surprise for you after intermission."

"Oh?" she responded, wanting to know more.

But Alex didn't give any more hints, instead heading back to his dressing room for the wardrobe change they were scheduled for. Ruby turned to the girls as they remained by the stage. 

"Any idea what he meant?" she asked.

Amity shrugged and then cringed her nose. "Oh, Julie, I think someone needs a diaper change."

"Yeah, I think they planned this together," Julie agreed. "Want to help me change them?"

"Of course," Amity agreed, and the two girls headed back to Julie's dressing room.

Ruby stayed behind and when they were out of earshot said, "Don't mind me. I'll just stay here. Right here. Alone."

She let out a deep breath and looked back out at the stage, watching the video playing on the screens and waiting for the rest of the show to go on.

When the guys came back out, Alex briefly passed by her and said, "This one's for you, ok?"

"Ok, but what—" she began, wanting to at least know what to expect. But he ignored her and ran back to the stage with the rest of the band to their thousands of screaming fans. 

Ruby waited as they talked to the fans for a few seconds and then started playing a song she hadn't heard them sing before.

["See You Again" by Wiz Khalifa and Charlie Puth.]

Alex: It's been a long day without you, my friend. And I'll tell you all about it when I see you again. We've come a long way from where we began. Oh, I'll tell you all about it when I see you again. When I see you again... (Hey)

Alex looked backstage at Ruby and smiled. She forced a smile back but she couldn't understand why he was doing this—to himself, to her. 

Sam (John): Damn, who knew? All the planes we flew. Good things we've been through. That I'll be standing right here talking to you. 'Bout another path. I know we loved to hit the road and laugh. But something told me that it wouldn't last. Had to switch up. Look at things different, see the bigger picture. Those were the days. Hard work forever pays. Now I see you in a better place (see you in a better place)