Chapter 73: Crystalgate

Saturday, April 16, 2022

"Ok, my baby," Julie said as she finished changing Gabriella's diaper. "There you go, sweet girl." She was fastening up her pants when a knock on the nursery's door startled her. "And who could that be?"

She finished dressing Gaby and carried her with her downstairs. When she opened the door, Albany was standing there carrying two cups of coffee. "Surprise!" she exclaimed.

"Oh my gosh," Julie let out a deep breath. "You are so amazing. I got, like, two hours of sleep."

She took one of the cups and then led Albany into the kitchen. Albany put her cup down and asked, "Can I carry her?"

"Oh yeah, please," Julie said, handing her the twin. 

While Albany took the small infant into her arms, she began bouncing her and said, "You gave in surprisingly easily."

"Why wouldn't I?" Julie asked, uncovering her coffee and begin to drink straight from the cup. After she was done she added, "You're a friend."

"Yeah," she nodded, "but the few times I've gone over to Bree's house Ryder and Marley are so picky with letting people hold their kid and it's a little uncomfortable."

"They're probably right, being overly cautious," Julie said with a shrug. "But I trust you with my life—and the twins are my life."

"That's nice," Albany grinned, sitting down on one of the dining chairs and making faces at Gaby.

Julie sat across from her and said, "So what brings you by? Didn't get enough of my awesomeness last night."

"Never!" Albany chuckled. "But actually, I did come to thank you. I had fun and I really needed to have some right now... Greta and I broke up."

Julie's eyes widened. "Really? Why?"

"Well..." Albany considered lying. "I... Ok, the truth is that I'd like to say it was mutual but it wasn't. She got a job offer in some fancy Connecticut private school and... She's going to take it. So because the school year is almost over, she said we may as well break up now."

"Wow," Julie said. "Albany, I'm so sorry. I feel awful. And I haven't been a very good friend to you lately and—"

"Oh, no, please don't feel bad," Albany shook her head. "It's not your fault. None of it. I wanted Shana to move in and you had to move out for that to happen. Then we broke up and I stupidly thought going out with Greta was a good idea even though we worked together. And now I have to see her at work every day for the next month and a half."

As Albany began frowning, so did Gaby, so Julie said, "I'm still sorry I haven't been around."

"You kidding me?" Albany said, looking down at the baby with a smile. "You have this little one and another just like her to take care of. I understand. Besides, you know I've always been alright getting a little lonely."

"Does Luke know about you and Greta?" 

"No. But I'm sure as soon as I tell him he'll be overjoyed since he didn't like her very much to begin with. I don't know when I'll get the chance to let him know—he's been so busy with his new boyfriend."

"Luke has a new boyfriend?"

Albany laughed. "Oh yeah. And he thinks I don't know about it because he's so used to bringing different men in but I can tell when it's the same specific one. It's Sebastian Smythe all over again."

"Oh god," Julie made a face. "You don't think it's Sebastian, do you?"

"No way," she shook her head. "They wouldn't sneak around if that was the case."