Chapter 20: Bring It On

fhfbjkfhbgakjhgbalhbgabglahgb 

------------------------------------------

It didn't take long for news to spread. By the time that Sebastian and Blaine had reached the gym, the stench of sweat and shame spreading all around them, all of the living contestants knew as well. The big bad wolf and his henchmen were out of the game.

"I wish we could know right away," said Drew, walking on alert beside Dan and holding up her gun in case anyone crossed them. "You know, like in The Hunger Games? The least they could've done was have the losers stop by the principal's office first so that they could announce it through the speakers and then everyone would know."

Dan turned to Drew, amazed. "You're brilliant, you know that?"

"I'd like to take credit for the idea," Drew shrugged, "but it was Autumn who came up with it before we got started. We told her to tell Riley's mom but she got all shy."

"Well you still came up with that awesome gun-toy robot idea," he responded. "It's too bad it took out the wrong people."

"We took out four people," Drew reminded him. "They way I see it, it did it's job in the end because now all we have to do is worry about—"

"Amity," said Dan, looking past Drew at Amity, who had appeared by herself and was now smiling at them. She didn't come towards them however, which was probably a smart move in a 2v1 scenario.

"Hello, Dan," Amity said from the other end of the hall. "Drew, you look lovely as a witch."

"You make a great Daphne," Drew responded callously, waiting for someone to start shooting.

"What do you want, Amity?" Dan asked her.

Amity looked away, pretending to read a poster on the wall and to only be giving a small percentage of her attention. "To warn you," she said, rubbing her chin and gasping, as though she'd come to a brilliant epiphany from the poster, which was a picture of a cute pig with text begging people not to eat bacon. 

Dan scoffed, "You warn me? About what?"

"Not what," Amity said, slowly turning towards him. "Who. There's a new top dog now that Sebastian's dead. The person who killed him."

A snarky smile on his face, Dan rolled his eyes. "Leila told us in passing but she didn't mention it had been you. I should've known."

"I wish it had been me," Amity told him, taking a few steps towards them. "Nothing would've brought me more joy. But sadly, it wasn't me. It was Peyton."

"Oh," Dan said softly, looking down pensively. "That's... Well, that's good right? With Peyton running this thing, she can put an end to the violence. We can all go peacefully and no more psychological torture for anyone!"

"Do you know why I'm here alone?" Amity asked, taking a couple more steps forward very slowly. "Because of her, Dan. We ran into her and she told us about how she took down Sebastian. She was... exhilarated from having taken Blaine's gun. She and Luke were out and I guess the new power of all that leftover ammo got to her because she then tried to shoot down my team and we got split up. She's changed."

"You've changed," Dan said in response. "You're not the same person you were. I guess it was to be expected. It's been a long time."

"About three and a half hour," Amity agreed. "But can you blame me Dan? I'm just trying to survive, like the rest of us. I'm hungry, I'm tired, and I really want to know what the Halloween party at the club is like. But the longer this takes, the longer it takes until we have get to go over there. The party started an hour ago, Dan. We were supposed to be done already."