Chapter 16: Jake's Stake

Stake not steak. And not the vampire killing kind, either. 
Short chapter. It's Jake's birthday. Enjoy!
--------------------------------------------------

"JAKE WAKE UP!" Riley shouted at the top of her lungs. It was now Wednesday, October 13, which meant that Jake was turning 25. This was a pretty big deal to Riley, who thought that it was at that age that people became officially old. 

With her hands cupped around her mouth, she stood above Jake and shouted, "WAKE... UP!!!!"

Jake groaned and extended his arm out, reaching for Kitty. He patted the spot beside him several times before opening his eyes and seeing that she wasn't there. When he looked up and saw Riley, he quickly sat up and made sure that he was all covered up.

"Whoa," he said.

"Don't worry," Riley said, "you're all good. Kitty left hours ago."

"What time is it?" he asked. "Why aren't you in school?"

"Noon and there was a power outage," she responded. "So they gave us a few hours while they fixed it. I have to go to school soon but... I wanted to say happy birthday, thank you, and I'm sorry times two."

"Huh?" Jake asked, rubbing his eyes.

"Thank you," Riley repeated. "For bringing me in and changing my life. Saving it, really. Sorry for being such a big trouble for you and Kitty and... Lastly... Sorry because you're old now."

Jake laughed but he was touched by her words. He knew she wasn't into the mushy conversations though, so he nodded and said, "Thank you, sort of... Give me a few minutes and I'll take you to school."

***

With Riley safely in class, Jake was making his way back to his car when he passed by a familiar vehicle, from which Albany was getting out. "Coming in for work Jake?" she asked casually. 

Jake came to a stop beside her and said, "No, not today. I just dropped Riley off."

"I see," she nodded. "We missed you at the baby shower."

"Yeah, Riley was..." he began to explain, his voice trailing off.

"I've heard," Albany nodded. "She's just been distracted lately but I think she's going to be fine. To tell you the truth, I think having you and Kitty is what's keeping her from acting out."

"Let's just hope it's enough," he nodded. "So how was the shower? Was it awkward for you?"

"For me?" she laughed. "Nah, but it may have been for you. Alex brought up the fact that you and—"

"Wait," Jake stopped her, his eyes on the back of their building. He saw someone leaving from a side door which he knew was connected to the teacher's lounge. But that was no teacher. "Uh..." he said, not averting his eyes. "You should go inside now."

He begin to walk away very quickly, leaving Albany confused, but she just shrugged it off and went on with her day. Jake continued to follow Riley, who he could only see the back of, and prayed that she wasn't planning on skipping school again.

When he got around to the back of the building, however, he saw her heading towards the football field. Did she have gym?

He kept going, keeping his distance so that he could continue following and seeing where she was headed to and finally, she made it to the bleachers. Jake shook his head. "Please don't be doing what I think you're doing," he mumbled. He continued to follow her, careful not to be seen, and found her walking towards a group of girls who he knew had to be this generation's Skanks.