Chapter 30: A Little Bit Longer

MILWAUKEE, WISCONSIN

"Milwaukee, give it up one more time!" Travis exclaimed as he stood in front of thousands of fans who's just heard him play a few of his songs. 

They clapped and cheered loudly, to which he responded with a simple, yet charming grin that drove them to scream even more wildly. 

"That was beautiful," he told them. "We have time for one last song so I thought I'd give you something special. Santana—" He paused as the crowd cheered once again, smiling with an exhausted laugh. "Santana and I have been out on the road for a almost a month now and we're loving every part of it. We're great friends and massive fans for each other so as a special treat for this great crowd, we prepared a new song. You guys ready to hear a new song?"

The audience screamed again, most of them not producing any actual words, so Travis chuckled and walked downstage as the music began to play overhead. 

["The Feeling" by Justin Bieber & Halsey.]

Travis (Santana) : You are to me. A part of me just like anatomy. (Just like anatomy...) You're pulling me. (You're pulling me) You're pulling me in like you're gravity. (Like gravity) I'm notorious for thinking you're full of beautiful. Instead of hollow.  (Hollow) Sugar on your lips, it's hard to kill. Jagged like a pill, so hard to swallow.

As Santana emerged from the sidelines, the crowd started cheering for both of them, with several signs saying her name going up. She smiled at them as she made her way towards the front with Travis. 

Santana (Both): (Am I in love with you?) Or am I in love with the feeling? (Trying to find the truth) Sometimes the heart is deceiving. Can't get out of my head, and I need you to save me. If I am delusional then maybe I'm crazy. In love with you, am I in love with you? Or am I in love with the feeling?

But as Santana sang, she noticed the same thing she'd been noticing on almost every night of the last four weeks. Most of the people in the audience were Travis' fans, not hers. 

Travis (Santana): Oh... You give to me. (Give it to me) Everything, anything that I could dream. And at least that's what it seems (that's what it seems)

Travis tried, at first, to give her attention. He sang directly to her, standing less than inch from her face, but the audience demanded him and he happily obliged. After singing a verse to her, he made his way back to the front row.

Both: Could it be I don't know what's good for me? I'm notorious for thinking you're full of beautiful. Instead of hollow. Sugar on your lips, it's hard to kill. Jagged like a pill, so hard to swallow.

And Santana was left there, standing on her own as she watched the fans who had bought tickets to her show ignoring her singing for a chance at having their hands touched by Travis.

Santana (Both): Am I in love with you? Or am I in love with the feeling? (Trying to find the truth) Sometimes the heart is deceiving (Can't get out of my head, and I need you to save me. If I am delusional then maybe I'm crazy. In love with you, am I in love with you? Or am I in love with the feeling?)

In a final attempt at getting some of the attention for herself, Santana turned to a group of fans, ready to let them sing a part of the song, but they were too busy waiting for their turn at a touch from Travis to notice, so she had to pull back before anyone saw what she was trying to do.

Both:  I'm sinking faster and faster. Between heaven and disaster. Sorry if I made you feel like. I'm standing on the borderline.

She looked at the sidelines, where Jesse was standing watching, and gave him a look as she continued, though it was clear that he didn't know what she was trying to tell him. So she turned back to the audience and forced a smile, destroying Travis on the vocals yet still not coming out as number one.