Chapter 40: Swan Song

Warning: Despite this chapter's title, it does not hold any similarities to the Glee episode by the same name. Like, at all. Totally different. Thematically and everything. 

Ok, time to read now! Let me know what you think in the comments section (and please try to be nice to me, each other & the characters!!!). Also this is finally the chapter where we focus on characters other than Julie, so I wasn't a complete liar! That's all! xx
-------------------------------------------------------------

ALEX'S POV

When I woke up, I wasn't where I thought I would be. I figured I'd only see the darkness just like I had every other day. Or maybe I'd see some guy's face as he came up to tell me my food was in ready. Then I'd have to fight the urge to spit in his ugly face and I'd do my best to get a glimpse of where I was before he covered my eyes again.

But no, I wasn't in that room anymore. The room I was in was completely white and filled with light. I sat up and suddenly everything else became clear. The light dimmed enough for me to see where exactly I was. Sam's hospital room. 

I turned to the bed, surprised that there was nobody there. What the hell? I stood up and saw Sam walking into the room with a can of Mountain Dew in his hands. 

"Whoa, you're up!" I exclaimed. 

"Just for a bit," Sam nodded. "I got really thirsty. But I'll finish this, go back to sleep, and then wake up in a few hours."

"What..?" I responded, confused. 

As Sam put the Mountain Dew down on one of the counters, he looked at me and said, "But I have a plan. It's going to be so cool. And any time anyone else gets out of a coma, other people are going to be like, 'I'm gonna let you finish, but Sam Evans had one of the best coma recoveries of all time. OF ALL TIME!'"

I looked down at the ground, my head spinning. Sam was now laughing. "What?" I repeated again, not sure what else to say. "But... How... I mean, you're... Wait, how did I even get here?"

"Well, none of this is really real," Sam shrugged. "I don't think it is, at least... But look, don't sweat it. Just have fun being in a world where you can do whatever you want. Like right now, I'm gonna go find Mercedes Jones and I'm just going to dance all up on her because she won't know and I'm going to be like, 'Uh uh, white chocolate, uh' and just do like a body roll right on her and she'll have no idea because she can't see me."

"She can't see you?" I asked him. "What is going on? And why do you want to use your time awake to grind on Mercedes. Don't you want to go see your daughters or Julie or your parents or your siblings or... or... Mr. Schue..? I don't know, anything else. Like, literally, anything."

"Oh, don't look at me like I'm a sick pervert, Alex," Sam chuckled. "If anything, you are. Because all of this is just in your head."

"In my head, really?" I rolled my eyes.

"Yes, really, actually," Sam nodded. "This is all a dream, buddy."

I rolled my eyes again. Typical Sam nonsense. "I know what my dreams look like, so nice try. I'm usually wearing a red hoodie in them, which I'm currently not. And it's usually at night. And I'm sometimes in a forest. As a werewolf."

Sam laughed. "Yeah, I know. I know everything you do. Because this is all you."

"Ok, keep playing the 'this is a dream' card," I told him. "But in a second everyone will be back and they'll tell me about how you woke up and we got rescued and I had head injuries and that's why everything in between that and last night is all foggy."