Chapter 76: The City (and Babies) That Never Sleeps

Only a couple more chapters left! It looks like we'll be ending on 80 again, which is the age Julie will be by the time we all get tired of these books going on and on and on and on and—
------------------------

"Crummy tabloids didn't even have the decency to warn us in advance," Sebastian said as he paced his office. "And what gives them the right to go on spreading these... these rumors about a person without verification? It's just unprofessional."

On a chair in front of his desk, Travis sat solemnly watching Sebastian go. 

"It's been almost a week since the rumors started floating around," Sebastian continued. "Even The View started spewing out their opinions on it. I can protect you, but we have to act soon, ok? If we don't nip this rumor right now, people will just keep speculating. So you need to stop thinking about it and give me an answer already. Are we going to deny these rumors or not?"

"I told you," Travis responded. "I want to talk about it with Luke first. He said he can't come home until Santana's single drops, which is tonight at midnight so..."

"What did your girlfriend have to say about it?" Sebastian asked. "Has she talked to the press? What did she tell you?"

"Nothing yet," he sighed. "She's in Hong Kong but she's getting back soon so I want to talk to her before I talk to the press, too."

"And say what?" Sebastian asked, frustrated. "The truth? Or the cover up? Whatever you want, I will back you up fully. This is manageable only if we act soon. It's your choice but... You need to make it now."

Before Travis could answer, the door opened and Blaine walked in. "Oh sorry," he said when he saw the two talking. "I, uh... Have news."

"About the source going around telling people about Travis?" Sebastian asked.

"No," Blaine shook his head. "It's about our girl group situation."

"Please tell me you got Jake's girl back in," he said. 

"No," Blaine said, walking towards him with an iPad in his hands. "But I found this..."

He hit the play button and a video started to play. A curvy girl with green eyes and dark hair was on a stage singing. "What is this?" Sebastian asked.

"Star Maker US," Blaine said. "That reality TV singing competition thing. This is Zoe Rivers—she was a fan favorite and this week she got booted off the show by the judges but her last performance went viral. Huge following now. And she's officially unsigned and not tethered to any show or any contract. With one call, I can set up a meeting and see if maybe there's a place on the label for her."

"As what?" asked Sebastian. "A soloist? Or with the girl group? She doesn't look like she'd fit in with the other girls. They're much perkier and... I don't know, different."

"I disagree," Blaine shrugged. "Maybe if you see more of her videos, you'll—"

"No, it's fine," Sebastian waved him away. "I trust your judgement and you're head of A&R so just make the call and get her here as soon as possible. I have more important things to deal with right now."

"Of course," Blaine nodded, shooting a sideways glance at Travis before heading out. 

When he was gone, Sebastian turned to Travis and asked, "So what do you want to do?"

***

"Ok, I am all set to go," Julie said as she finished carrying her bags out to the entrance of her house. Ryder stood at the end of the staircase with a smile on his face as she turned back around and said, "Are you sure this is fine? Because it's not too late to call my family and—"