Chapter 45: The Grammy's

"She asked you to move in?" asked John as he and Sam walked out of The Lima Bean with their caffeinated drinks in hand. "And you said no?"

"It wasn't a no-no," Sam responded, carefully stirring his latte as they walked towards their cars. "It was more of a no-for-now, 'let me think about it' no. You know?"

"No," he shook his head with a laugh. "Dude, you are so dumb. You have like ten seconds before she changes her mind and is asking Ryder to move in."

Sam stopped walking before they had even reached either of their vehicles. "Why...?" he asked. 

"Oh," John responded flatly. "I forgot. Uh, I'm probably the wrong person to tell you this but..."

"Wait, did something happen between them?" Sam asked, not sure how to feel. 

"Well, they dated for months," John said evasively. Sam gave him a look which led him to slowly add, "Aaaaand..." Then very quickly and almost inaudibly he said, "They made out at Christmas."

He put his drink to his mouth and despite it being scalding hot, he didn't stop drinking. Sam pulled the Lima Bean cup away from him and said, "You need to tell me everything."

"I can't," John said. "I just burned my tongue."

"John!" Sam exclaimed.

John let out a deep breath and said, "Dude, I so don't want to get involved... But yeah, he was there for her when you were in dreamland—"

"I didn't dream," Sam interrupted. "I've told you already that I can't remember what I was thinking or even if I could think while I was out, so I doubt that it was like a dream where I could—"

"Do you want me to tell you or not?" John rolled his eyes.

"Please continue," Sam nodded, shutting up.

"He was there for her," he went on. "And he—not her—started developing feelings again and he kissed her."

"Oh," Sam said. "So then... Ok. Good. You made it sound like she kissed him back and—"

"Well, she did," John said, walking away in discomfort. "But I mean, Julie's kissed, like, everyone in this town except the ones she's related to and it's nothing new so—"

"John," Sam grumbled. 

"Ok, ok, fine," John sighed, stopping by his car. He leaned against it and explained, "She was confused, I guess. But since she asked you to move in, that probably means she was just horny or something. And gross, I don't want to talk about this anymore."

"Yeah me either," Sam admitted, making a face. "Look, I'll meet you at the studio, ok? I think I need to go talk to her and clear some things up."

"Noooo," John begged. "No, don't. She's going to be so pissed if she finds out I told you. And she's already really unhinged. Any little thing sends her over the edge so please. Let's just go to the studio and let her tell you when she wants." He opened the door to his car and before getting in added, "I'll even drop hints for her to tell you soon if you want."

***

"There she is," said Leila, nervously standing up as Shana stumbled down the hall to the Blackbird Records lobby. Shana lazily made her way over to her, shades covering her eyes, and smiled up brightly. 

"Wuz gewd?" she asked.

Leila cringed. "Ugh, what is that terrible odor?"

Shana giggled, "Booze."

"Were you out partying last night?" Leila asked her. "It was a Monday."

"I know, I know," Shana laughed. "But you wouldn't believe who asked me to go clubbing! I was—"