Chapter 23: Before

"Where's Meg?" asked Julie frantically. "Alex... Look at me! Where is she?" She turned to Kara in an accusatory manner and exclaimed, "What did you do?"

"I didn't-" Kara began.

"You never liked Meg," Julie cut her off.

"It wasn't her fault," Alex sighed. "Look, Julie, we went out for a walk. I had her on the leash but I guess I didn't make sure the collar was on correctly. Next thing I knew, she was gone."

"We looked around for her everywhere," added Kara. "I swear, this was a big accident. We were dumb and careless but we'll keep searching. I'll make flyers, I'll post online. We'll find your dog."

Julie glared at her but then looked down at the ground. A sudden, sharp pain hit her shoulder. "Agh..." she groaned, failing to hold it in.

"Are you ok?" asked Kara as Alex rushed to her side.

"I'm fine," she told them. "Just... Just find Meg, please."

"Where would she go if she was lost?" asked Alex, though he was obviously still more concerned with her.

Julie pressed her lips together and then started taking slow, deep breaths. "That's the thing," she answered with difficulty. "She wouldn't get lost. She's been in Lima for so long and it's a small town. We've taken walks everywhere and..."

"Are you sure you're ok?" Kara asked. "Maybe you need to see a nurse."

"Jake!" Julie exclaimed, beginning to get up.

"Jake's not a nurse, Marley is," Alex told her, helping her get off the couch. "You really do need medical attention."

"No," Julie shook her head at them. "I mean, call Jake. Check in with him. Meg and his dog get along and maybe she went... there..." She groaned and put her hand on her stomach.

"Ok, that's it," Alex shook his head. "I'm taking you to the hospital."

"No, go find Meg," Julie shook her head.

Alex began to protest but Kara put a hand on his shoulder and said, "I'll take her to the doctor. You can keep looking for the dog."

He seemed a bit wary about letting her out of his sight, but Alex took his keys out of his jacket's pocket and tossed them to her. "Take my car," he said.

"Wait, stop," Julie said to Alex. "You can't. You're going out of town tomorrow morning, remember?"

Alex sighed. He had completely forgotten that the band was flying out to California for a concert in Oakland, then another in Portland and a third in Salt Lake City for a small promotional tour during this week. But looking at Julie now, he couldn't imagine that they'd be going, especially not Sam.

"Don't worry about that now," he told her. "You're obviously in pain so let Kara take you to to the hospital. I'll call Sam and have him meet you there. And I'll go interrupt Puckerman's beauty sleep to see if Meg maybe showed up for some sexy time with his mutt."

Julie rolled her eyes and said, "She's spayed, you idiot. She probably just wanted someone to play with h-"

When Julie cried out in pain once again, Alex reached out to her and said, "Ok, that's enough of standing around here for you. Let's get you outside."

"I'll get the door," Kara said, and the three were on their way.

***

Jake lied in bed, out of breath. He turned to his right and saw the face of Bree. "One more time?" she asked seductively.