Chapter 41: The Day We Fell Apart

STANFORD, CALIFORNIA

While Harmony sat in her hotel room, not sure what to think, a knock interrupted her silent contemplation. She stood up, tried to clear head, and made her way to the door, only to find that the person on the other side of it was none other than Shana.

"Hey," she said slowly. 

"Hey," Harmony responded. "Did you hear...?"

"I did," Shana said, crossing her arms and covering from the cold. "I talked to Andy and since he's flying out to see Bree tomorrow I asked if we could go, too. If that's fine with you."

"Yeah, of course," Harmony nodded. "I'd like to... So it's true then. Kara's really..."

"Yes," Shana felt her stomach turn upside down. "It seems that way."

Harmony watched as Shana's expression fell. Not sure what else to do, she opened the door further and said, "Why don't you come in?" Shana hesitated before nodding and making her way into the room to not spend this moment alone.

***

LIMA, OHIO

The next morning, Leila and Peyton were heading out of their hotel room for the day when they saw John arriving in the lobby.

"What is he doing here..." Leila mumbled nervously.

"Be strong," Peyton told her in response.

Leila nodded and braced herself for whatever John had to say, but John didn't seem to come to pick a fight. With his hands in his pockets and his head hanging low, he made his way over to them. 

"Hey," he said. "I'm glad I caught you two before you left."

"I actually have to go to work," Peyton said quickly. 

"And I'm meeting Kurt so..." Leila added.

John looked down at the ground and then back up at them. "I..." he began.

Seeing a strange look in his eye, Leila forced herself to ask, "What is it? What's wrong?"

"They found Alex last night," he said. "And Bree and Kara, too."

"Oh my gosh!" Leila exclaimed as Peyton let out a gasp of relief. "That's awesome. Where were they? What happened?" She stopped for a moment and said, "Wait, did something happen to them?"

"They were trying to escape just before the SWAT team raided the place," John said, his voice cracking. "Alex and Bree are in the hospital getting checked right now but Kara..."

"What about Kara?" Peyton asked frantically. "Where is she?"

"She's... gone..." John answered.

Peyton shook her head and said, "Gone? What do you mean gone? Gone, like, she fled town? She left the hospital already? What does that mean?"

"She's dead, Peyton," John told her, causing her to nearly collapse as she started to cry, her hand to her mouth. Leila gasped and put an arm around her friend, who was starting to lose it on the spot. "I don't really have all the details but she was hurt by a man, a man who is now also dead, and they tried to get her out for help but she didn't make it... I'm so sorry, Peyton. I wanted to come over here and tell you in person."

He reached over and gave her a hug, feeling his upper chest get wet as she cried onto him. Soothing her sobs by patting her back slowly, he let out a deep, tired breath and looked over at Leila, who seemed to feel just as bad as he did right now. As Peyton continued to cry, the two of them stood there wondering what it is that they could do to possibly make this better.