Chapter 26: At Least We'll Both Be Numb

I'm taking song requests and doing my best to work them into the story so suggest away! This chapter has a few answered requests and it's also really long so I really am trying now!

Also, I should warn you that a lot is happening in this chapter. I think this is now my longest chapter to date. Either that or like second longest but it's probably like four or five times the length of the usual chapters. Old faces will return. Desperately asked for characters will make their debut. (Season six, season six, season six) Loved characters will hurt. It's gonna be an emotional one for those of you with your souls intact. The rest of you can just join me and chill like Sam Winchester. Maybe the next chapter will do it for you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Kitty woke up the Monday after the party, she wanted nothing more than to just go back to sleep and stay in bed all day, as she had the previous day. Jake, however, was far more levelheaded than that and walked into the room right on time. 

"It's Sectionals week," he told her with a smile. "Riley's excited to go to school for the first time and you have that luncheon with the other councilmen. Or council...people...? Whatever. The point is that you need to get up already and I need to go finish up breakfast. Come on."

Kitty groaned as he left the room. She knew he was right—she had to get up and face the world. Life went on. But she had hurt Ryder and angered Bree and Marley in the process. No doubt, she'd also managed to piss off the other people who had heard her spill with Marley.

Strangely enough, amidst all the terrible things she'd said and done, it was Jake who was the most understanding and not mad at her at all. It turns out a long night of open conversation and sharing was all they needed to ease the weirdness around them, but now she had other problems.

When she finally made her way to the kitchen, she found Riley reading a pamphlet that read "Beverly Preparatory" so she took a look at it from behind her.

"Boarding school?" she asked with a confused look on her face. "Why on Earth are you reading that?"

"Oh," Riley laughed nervously. "I didn't realize you were standing there. She put the pamphlet into her backpack and said, "Just something the school counselor showed me. It's a school in Beverly Hills."

"Are you interested in California?" asked Kitty.

Jake began to serve them their breakfast, casually listening in. "Oh..." Riley mumbled. "I mean, no... Well... I would like to go there one day but... I know you two would flip out if I wanted to go to school there so..."

Kitty could tell Riley was just testing the waters, but to Jake it wasn't as transparent. "Good," he told her. "Because there's no way in hell we'd let you leave the house before college."

He chuckled but Kitty gave him a look. Apologetically, he shrugged as Riley seemed clearly upset by the response. "I should get going," Riley asked. 

"But it's still early," said Jake as Kitty said, "Who's driving you?"

"I'm walking," Riley said to Kitty. She turned to Jake and added, "That's why I have to go so early."

Riley rose from her seat, took a bite of her breakfast, and reached for backpack. When she had left the front door, Jake turned to Riley and said, "You think she really wants to go to California?" 

Kitty shrugged and responded, "Maybe she's unhappy here... Maybe it's because of how unhappy we were."

"Well we can't let her actually go," Jake pointed out. "We have to show her that we're fine now. We are fine now, right?"