Chapter 49: I Do Care If You Love Me

"I can't believe you just showed up at school like that!" Riley exclaimed as she and Kitty walked into their home. "That was so embarrassing, Kitty!"

"I'm sorry but you weren't going to talk to me," Kitty said. "I needed to make sure you were ok so I had to see you outside of home. I'm sorry I didn't warn you before going in."

"But why did you volunteer to sing?" Riley asked. "And why with Jack? After you rudely kicked him out in the morning he's not exactly pleased about the arrangement."

"I..." Kitty mumbled. "Just want... to get to know your friends..."

"You know," Riley said, squinting her eyes at her, "for a politician, you're a terrible liar."

She stomped her way to her bedroom and slammed the door, leaving Kitty by herself to wonder how on earth she was going to get past the duet situation.

***

Meanwhile, Sam had just finished telling Julie about the sudden tour arrangements. "You leave Sunday night?" she responded when he was done. "But... It's Wednesday. I mean, that's... It's just so sudden, you know?"

"I do know," Sam said. "And we're supposed to drop by at seven to go over contracts which is why I had to come by here and talk to you about it first. I won't leave you if you don't want me to."

"No, no," Julie said. "You've stalled touring for a really long time and I don't want to be at fault again. You have to get back into it."

"Ok..." Sam sighed. "Good because Sebastian pretty much launched the whole thing without our approval and backing out now would be a pain. But hey, I have a solution. You and the girls should come with us. We can  get our own bus and—"

"Sam, as incredibly sweet as that is," she said, "I think distance will be good. We should get used to being away from each other and the girls if this we're both going to be doing the music thing. And right now, after what we've just gone through, maybe you being on the road is what we need. Besides, I think the girls are a little too young for dive bars, drunk nights and bumpy roads."

"Good point," Sam nodded. 

He still looked a bit unsure so Julie added, "Sam, it's ok. You should do this. I'll be fine. I mean, even without your help or John's or even Alex's... There's still Bree. And Kitty. And Marley has been so helpful. I've got plenty of help that will still be in town. My life doesn't completely depend on Crystal Army."

He smiled, "I know it doesn't. I'm not worried about you, actually. I'm worried about me. I'm going to miss my family." He took a deep breath and then said, "But you're right. We need to get used to this. I'm going to need to be strong. It wouldn't be fair on the other guys if I backed out anyway."

"Go sign that contract," she told him.

Sam nodded and headed for the door. Julie saw him out and then watched as he left, closing the door and returning to her living room once he was gone. She had just stepped into the room when there was a knock on the door that forced her back out to the entrance.

When she opened the door, she asked, "What'd you forget?"

But it was Shawn who was standing there, a smile on his face as he responded, "Got a light?" Unamused, she tried to shut the door, but he put his foot in the way to stop it and said, "No, you're supposed to say, 'I know you, you're—'"

"What do you want Shawn?" she asked him. "What are you even doing in Lima? I thought you'd be out filming your movie or whatever."

"My movie about you," he said with a smile. She wasn't very pleased so he added, "Uh, yeah, yeah I am supposed to be doing that which is why I'm in Lima."