10 | How to Save a Life

"What do we do?" I ask frantically. It's been about ten minutes and the ambulance still isn't here.

"Okay, I learned some of this in school," Lauren says, trying to stay calm. "First we have to check his breathing." She leans down and puts her ear to his face. "I can hear him breathing," she says, checking his arm and neck for a pulse.

"So now what?" I ask. She sits back on her heels.

"We wait?"

Tiffany scoffs. "Please! We have to do CPR!"

"No! His stomach is bothering him. If there's something wrong internally, pushing down on his abdomen could make it worse!"

Harry and I exchange impressed facial expressions. "How do you know all this?" Harry asks. She shrugs.

"School, and books." I forgot that Lauren's a nerd. So was Ashton, at that age. He still is when it comes to certain things. Lauren is always oozing about the latest book she's reading. I'm not that into reading, but her excitement always draws me in when she tells me about a book.

Tiffany sighs in annoyance. "This is ridiculous! We have to do something!"

"There's nothing we can do!" Lauren yells back.

"You're not touching my brother!" Harry exclaims.

"He's my boyfriend. I'm going to marry him one day. Boyfriend trumps brother," she snaps.

I try not to laugh. Marry him? Yeah, okay.

Harry gets to his feet, determined. "No, it doesn't," he growls.

We're interrupted by the door opening and several doctors rushing in.

"What's wrong?" A doctor asks hurriedly.

"His stomach has been bothering him, and then he just collapsed," Lauren says.

She nods as several other doctors check him and put him on a stretcher.

"And who are you?" Another doctor asks.

"Lauren. I'm his sister, and this is our brother Harry."

She nods again as they push the stretcher out of the room. "And what about you two?" The first doctor asks.

"I'm Rya, Lauren's friend, and Tiffany is his girlfriend," I say, gesturing to her.

"Come on, you four can sit in the front of the ambulance with me. I'm Harriet, by the way."

We follow her out to the ambulance and it takes off as soon as we get in.

"Is Ashton gonna die?" Harry suddenly blurts out.

"It looks like he has appendicitis, so he should be okay," Harriet says kindly.

We all sigh in relief, and I'm surprised how quickly we arrive at the hospital.

"Is there anyone we can call?" Harriet asks as she leads us to the waiting room. Lauren gives Harriet her mum's number, and she walks away.

"It'll be okay," I say, squeezing Lauren and Harry's hands. They smile. As we sit, waiting for any news, I remember no one else knows where we are.

"I should probably tell Luke what's going on," I say, pulling out my phone.

"Yeah, I totally forgot about everyone else!" she agrees. It hasn't been very long since we left, and I don't have any texts from him. I go into my contacts and find his, pressing 'call.'

"Hello this is Luke Hemmings' phone, how may I be of assistance," I hear Michael say in an official voice. I try not to giggle.

"Mikey, we're at the hospital," I say. Shoot, I probably shouldn't have started out like that. There's a pause before he finally speaks.