41 | Mixed Messages

Luke's POV;

"Alright, Chicago, here we come!" I announce once we've finished packing. Rya gives a small smile as we carry our luggage out to the large can we'll driving in. Because Illinois is only one state over from Missouri, we decided we'd drive. It'll be a little long, but we can just sleep or fool around or something.

We all get into the van, deciding it's best to separate Calum and Michael because they're still pranking each other. Just this morning Cal got Michael back for the silly string by putting sugar on his toothbrush. I have to admit, it was a funny sight, but Michael then proceeded to get payback by gluing Cal's shoes to the hotel floor. He was not very happy about that, but no one was surprised. Michael is just Michael in that way.

"We need to stop at a shoe store in Chicago, since someone glued my favorite pair of converse to the hotel floor!" Cal snaps, obviously directing his statement at Michael. He and Ashton are in the middle and Michael, Rya and I are in the very back.

Ashton shakes his head and Michael flashes a cheeky grin. "We can put an end to this if you'd like to surrender," he says chirpily, and I roll my eyes.

"Surrender? This isn't some kind of world war, mate," Ashton says with a chuckle. Michael jokingly punches him, causing him to fake cry. I sigh and put my earbuds in. This is going to be a very long car ride.

Rya was unusually quiet the entire drive to Chicago. Even when we stopped to get food and go to the bathroom, she didn't say one word. She just followed us silently, cracking a small smile now and then, but I could tell it wasn't genuine.

She fell asleep in the car a few times and woke up startled, but refused to talk about it. I was worried she had a nightmare, but she insisted she didn't and that it was just because of the bumpy car ride. Ashton also informed me that this happened on the drive to our second interview in Missouri.

We finally arrive in Chicago, but I'm still racking my brain for any reason that Rya could have for being angry or upset. I can't think of anything, but she won't talk me. Or any of us, for that matter.

"Hey, are you okay? You've been awfully quiet," I say as we bring our luggage into the hotel. She nods, still not saying anything. "Are you sure? Is something bothering you?" I press, and she shakes her head. "I'm fine," she says quietly, shifting under my gaze. I sigh, giving up on getting her to talk more for now.

We put our things away in our hotel rooms, Cal and I together this time and Mikey with Ashton.

"So, who wants to come with me to get new shoes?!" Calum asks enthusiastically, and I shake my head. "We can't go now, mate. We have an interview to get to soon."

Cal fake pouts, "Already?" I nod as Michael and Ashton join us and flop down on top of Cal.

"Dog Pile!" I shout as I throw myself  on top of the other three boys. They all groan and scream, and I look over at Rya, who has a shy smile on her face. "Come on! Join us!" I shout obnoxiously. She just shakes her head and sits on the other bed, and I frown. Why is she so distant all of a sudden?

I'm snapped out of my thoughts as I hit the floor with a loud thud, and Michael lands on top of me. "Oomph," I groan.

"Get off you weirdos," Cal huffs. "Don't we have an interview to go to?" I chuckle and nod, helping Michael up. He grins, grabbing something from his bag and dumping it on Cal.