30 | Almost Grown

It's been about three weeks, and school is about to start again. I can't believe how time has flown. It feels like just yesterday Luke and the boys came back home after my accident. He was very helpful, even though he babied me a lot. He's just overprotective, that's the way he is.

"Rya! We're going to be late, come on!" My mum calls from downstairs. I hurriedly pull my hair into a ponytail and grab my crutches, slowly making my way down the stairs and into the car.

I'm so excited to go back to the hospital today, because I'm finally getting my cast off!

"Are you excited to finally get your cast off?" Mum says, glancing at me. Now that I'm eleven, I'm finally allowed to sit in the front seat. Everyone made such a big deal over it, because I'm the 'littlest Hemmo' and everything I do is a big deal, I guess.

I nod excitedly. It's been so annoying having a cast, because I can't do anything without help, especially with crutches. Everyone had to help me carry things or get places. I'll be glad to be able to do things by myself again.

I follow mum and the nurse back to a room and they help me sit on a hospital bed. "Alright, the doctor will be in shortly," she says with a smile before leaving. I nod, suddenly nervous. How are they going to take the cast off? Are they going to use a saw or something?

A few minutes later, the doctor I remember as Dr. McAndrews from my hospital stay, enters the room. "Alright miss Rya, let's get this cast off, shall we?" He says with a smile. I nod, eyeing the tool in his hand anxiously. It looks like a mini saw. Mum squeezes my hand reassuringly as I put my foot out.

"There's nothing to be afraid of," he says, slipping a rubber ruler down the side of my leg into the cast. "This is going to sound scary, but it won't hurt, I promise," he says as he turns it on. Mum still holds my hand, which I'm thankful for. I flinch a little at the sound, but relax when I realize it doesn't hurt. He does the same on the other side until the cast comes apart in two pieces.

"Alright, now, can you flex your foot for me?" Dr. McAndrew asks as he cleans off my leg. Having half of your leg stuck in a cast for over four weeks isn't pretty, let me tell you.

I move my ankle up and down, side to side and twirl it in a circle. "Alright," he says, pressing his hand against my foot and telling me to push. "Does it hurt?" He asks as he checks my reflexes and touches around my ankle. I don't understand how he can tell the bone is healed just by trying to feel it through all my skin and muscles, but hey, he's a doctor.

"So can I go home?" I ask eagerly as mum hands me my other sock and sneaker. Dr. McAndrew nods. "Be safe now, your ankle is still slightly fragile," he says as mum helps me off the bed. I nod, faltering slightly. It feels weird not being in a stiff cast anymore, so I feel like my foot is really thin. I also haven't used that leg for four and a half weeks or longer, so I'm sure it's still weak. "It feels weird," I say to mum as we walk back to the car. She nods as we drive home, and I call Luke on the way.

"Hi I'm Luke and I like dicks," I hear a familiar voice say. I roll my eyes. "Mikey!" I shriek. I hear muffled yelling and laughing on the other line, probably Luke trying to get his phone back. This happens all the time though, you'd think he'd learn not to leave his phone unattended by now.

"Oh, uh, hey Rya!" Mikey says awkwardly. I can tell he didn't look at the called ID before answering.

"Michael, watch your tongue!" Mum scolds. I giggle, and she shoots me a glare. "Uh, sorry Liz," he says with a chuckle.

"Give me my phone!" I hear Luke yell. "Calum, catch!" Mikey shouts. Then there's silence, followed by a thud. "Michael!" Another second later, Luke picks up the phone, sounding annoyed.

"Your friends are weird," I state as I listen to them screaming at each other. He chuckles tiredly.

"No kidding. What's up?" I grin happily as I look down at both my feet, now finally free of that horrible cast.

"I got my cast off today! I'm free!" I exclaim.

"That's great, Ry! Does it hurt?" I shake my head, forgetting he can't see me.

"No. It feels weird though. I'm just glad I got it off before school starts," I say.

Oh my gosh. I completely forgot about school, it starts in two days!

"Speaking of school, I already have all your supplies ready. We just have to organize it all," mum says. I nod. I have to admit, I'm kind of nervous for school to start.

"Yeah, I can't believe you're starting middle school!" Luke gushes, again. I roll my eyes. Everyone's been saying that, like they don't want me to grow up or its so hard to believe. I sigh as we pull into the driveway. "Well, I gotta go, bye Lukey," I say as we get out of the car. "Okay, bye Ry Ry." He hangs up, and I notice Willow and Caden sitting on the front steps. They stand up eagerly as I approach them.

"Mum, can I go play with Willow and Caden? Pleaseeeee?" Mum sighs as she unlocks the front door. "Alright, but be back in time for dinner, and no running, you have to take it easy!" She calls as we've already started running down the driveway. I sigh as I slow to a walk and roll my eyes. I have to admit though, it feels really great to have my leg free and be able to walk normally again.

"So, are you guys ready to start middle school?" Willow asks. We decided to go to the park. We always come here when we don't have anything to do.

I shrug. "I'm excited, I guess," I say, rocking back and forth on the swings. "I don't really know anyone," Caden says, looking a little uncomfortable. I grin at him and Willow and flip my hair dramatically. "Stick with us kid, we can teach you everything you'll need to know."

A/N - GUYS SLFL STARTED YESTERDAY, SEND HELP! I'm so not okay, I'm gonna cry so hard when I see them.

So this was kinda cute I guess, but never fear, Luke will reappear! (I'm sorry I just had to make that rhyme.) anyway, Luke and the boys will be back, so no worries! thanks for reading! Xoxo - Em😊❤️