38 | Slippery Slope

A/N - to the top/left is a picture of fetus 5sos in the snow in London, but for this chapter just pretend that they're sledding in Colorado;) xx

Since we have today off, the boys and I decided it'd be fun to go sledding. Colorado already has some snow, even though it's September. The higher elevations are used for tubing and skiing, so we decide to give it a shot. We went out yesterday after the interview to buy proper snow pants and heavier coats, and now that we're finished with breakfast we're on our way to a tubing slope. Rya is beyond excited.

"Can I make a Keek Ashton? Pleaseee?" Rya asks eagerly. Her eyes are wide and hopeful and I laugh at how excited she is as Ashton nods and gives her his phone.

"Hey guys, it's Rya! We're going sledding today!" We all cheer in the background as Michael grabs the phone and begins talking rapidly, saying stupid things about us that makes Rya laugh.

The drive up to the tubing hill we're going to is going to be a little bit of a drive. I was going to make Rya do a few lessons on the drive over, but I completely forgot that she's never seen the snow before.

I smile and take a picture of her looking out the window in awe as we get closer to the tubing hill. I decide to put it on Instagram so mum can see it.

@/lukehemmings: little sis witnessing snow for the first time 😅❤️ @/lizhemmings

Once we arrive I make sure Rya has all her snow clothes on before we get out of the car. She steps in the snow and grins. Ashton makes another keek of Rya looking over the sledding hill, because come on, her reaction is just too cute.

Michael goes to rent out the tubes and I make Rya go down with me the first time. Again, Ashton takes a video. Our fans will be seeing a lot of keeks today.

I sit Rya in my lap and Michael pushes us down the hill. Because the tube is inflatable, it speeds down the snowy slope extremely fast, picking up speed the farther down we go. Rya holds on tightly to the sides and squeals as we start to go even faster, and I laugh. It's so funny watching her reactions to the snow.

Once we stop we have to climb back up the hill. I laugh as Michael and Cal go down together and they both somehow end up face first in the snow. Rya laughs as we climb up the hill, causing her to slip slightly.

"Can I go by myself now?" Rya asks eagerly, and I nod. She grabs the tube and jumps onto it, squealing again as she starts to pick up speed. As I go to grab another tube, a girl shyly taps my shoulder.

"Hi. I know you're having fun with the guys and your sister, but could I get a picture?" She asks quietly. I smile down at her and nod. "Of course." Her eyes are wide, and I have to admit, her shyness is pretty cute. I snap a picture with her, and then we start talking a little bit. I learn her name is Jenna.

"I saw Rya go down the slope. It's really cute to watch how excited she is since she's never seen snow before." Jenna laughs lightly and I agree.

"Do you live here?" I ask. I turn quickly to make sure Rya's okay, just in time to watch her tube collide into Michael. I laugh as he falls on top of her and I shake my head.

"Yeah, I live about an hour from here, but we get plenty of snow," she giggles.

As we continue to talk, I feel a familiar pair of little arms wrap around my waist. Rya's face is covered in snow as she tries to dodge Michael, who has a snowball.

"Michael, don't throw at her face!" I exclaim. He shrinks back with a guilty expression. "I didn't mean to, I swear!"

Rya rolls her eyes. "Sure."

She looks from me to Jenna and her shy side immediately surfaces. She hunches her shoulders and hides behind me with a shy smile and big eyes. "This is Jenna," I say to her and the guys. Rya waves shyly and I nudge her. "Don't be shy, Jenna doesn't bite," I tease. Both girls laugh and Michael volunteers to take a group picture of us with Jenna.

"Thank you so much," Jenna says before leaving. We all wave goodbye. Rya grabs a handful of snow and throws it at Michael's face, making him gasp. "Oh, you're so dead!" He yells. Rya shrieks and takes off in her tube.

"You started it mate," Ashton says with a chuckle before jumping onto his tube as well. I follow suit and Michael attempts to chase us, but wipes out on the slope again. Rya takes this opportunity to shovel a huge pile of snow on him. I make a snowball and hit Cal in the back of the head, causing him to start chasing me. Before I know it, we're engaged in a snowball war, and by the time the sun starts to set we're all wet and freezing.

I hand Rya one of the towels we brought in case we got wet and she cleans off her face with a shiver.

"If she gets sick I'm blaming you," I say as I toss a towel to Michael. He rolls his eyes and rubs the towel across his face and over his hair as we all pile into our van. "Don't be such a mother hen, she's fine," he chuckles.

"That was fun! I wish we got snow in Australia so I could go sledding more often," Rya says as we begin to drive home. I chuckle. "Trust me, it gets old after a while."

Since the drive is about an hour and a half back to our hotel, Rya falls asleep on my shoulder, and I try to rest as well. I hear the click of a camera, probably Ashton's, but decide to ignore it. I'm starting to get even more tired now.

Rya is still sound asleep when we get to the hotel. I don't blame her, it's fairly late. I unbuckle her seat belt and carry her bridal-style up to our room. This time we share a room with Michael. He helps me take off all of Rya's snow clothes, and since she wore sweatpants under her snow pants we decide to just let her sleep in them.

"That was fun," she whispers sleepily, and I smile. "Yeah, it was," I agree. "Thanks for taking me," she yawns. I laugh lightly as I change into sweats and climb into bed. "I'm glad you had fun, bug," I whisper, kissing the top of her head. She's already nearly sleeping again. "Good night, Rya. I love you."

A/N - Yay for snow! What'd you guys think? I had a lot of fun writing this chapter, especially because Rya's never seen snow before. I hope you all enjoy! Xoxo - Em😊💙