37 | If Only

Luke's POV;

We're all awoken by the pilot telling us that the plane will be landing soon. I rub my eyes and Rya flutters hers open, looking around sleepily.

"The plane will be landing soon," I say, buckling my seatbelt. She nods and follows my lead as do the other boys.

Once we're off the plane and have our luggage, we meet security and begin our walk out of the airport. There are a few people that stop and stare, and I get a bad feeling when I hear persistent chatter outside.

"There's quite a few girls outside," Dave says, glancing at us. We nod and I take Rya's hand, bracing myself for the crowd. It's a lot bigger than I expected, though.

"Stay close," I warn. She squeezes my hand with a nod as we slowly open the doors, and the girls scream. Rya and I grip each other's hands tightly as I attempt to take a few pictures with fans and also push through the crowd. The other boys do the same, Michael in front of me and Cal and Ash behind Rya.

We're about halfway through the crowd when I feel a tug. I turn to make sure Rya's still next to me, but feel myself begin to panic when I don't see her anymore. I try to stay calm as I look around, but I can't find her in the huge mob. The girls have started pushing and airport security has arrived to help keep them back. Michael turns around to me and immediately looks concerned when seeing my panicked face. His face matches mine when he notices Rya's gone.

"Just stay calm, she just got lost in the crowd." Michael has to yell over the fans, but I nod. I should have put her on my shoulders or something so she didn't get lost.

"Hey!" I hear Cal shouting, but there are too many fans to turn around. I try to continue to power through the crowd, praying that Rya somehow made it out.

Once Michael and I make it to the car I begin searching around for Rya, but I don't see her. My heart continues to pound. What if something happened? She could have been pushed over and hit by a fan. Mobs are dangerous for kids like her, she's still little.

Ashton appears a minute later, looking flustered. "Where's Cal?" Michael asks as security continues to contain the crowd. Ashton looks around and shrugs. "Probably got caught up with the fans?" It comes out as more of a question, though.

A few minutes later, Cal breaks through the crowd with Rya on his back. "Oh thank god," I whisper, relief flooding through me. Once he makes it over to us, he drops her beside me and she rushes over to take my hand.

"Are you okay? Did you get hurt?" She shakes her head and Cal ruffles his hair. "Man, those fans can be crazy," he says. It's clear he's out of breath; I would be too if I had to fight through a mob of teenage girls with an eleven year old on my back.

"I saw Rya trying to push through the fans after she got separated so I went back to grab her, but those girls are insane," he says. I nod, messing up Rya's hair. She sticks her tongue out at me as we get into the van.

"From now on, I'm carrying you on my back through the crowds," I say. "I didn't get hurt or anything, I'm fine," Rya protests. I shake my head. "Yeah, this time." She sighs and rolls her eyes, but stops protesting. I think I speak for all of us when I say I'm relieved there aren't any fans outside our hotel.

Once we get to our rooms and settle in, Rya falls asleep. Even though she slept the whole way on the plane, she's still exhausted. It's probably from moving around so much, and her sleeping schedule is still messed up due to the time change between America and Australia.

I decide to take a shower while she naps and wake her later. We don't have much going on today, just an interview later. I make sure to keep my music quiet so it doesn't wake Rya up.

When I get out of the shower I put on my usual black skinny jeans and a blink shirt. As I towel dry my hair and reenter the hotel room, I notice that Rya appears to have just woken up.

She rubs her eyes and sits up fully. "I had another bad dream," she says. I frown, tossing my towel to the side. "Do you wanna talk about it?" I ask as I climb onto the bed and lay next to her. She shakes her head and I rub her leg gently in an attempt to comfort her.

"I miss Willow," she whispers, leaning into my side. I pull her fully into my lap and hug her tightly. "I know. I'm sorry." I wish I could do more to help her. Unfortunately there isn't much else I can do. If only there was something else I could do to help her.

Because school is back in session now, mum enlisted Rya online. She has to do a certain amount of work each day, but it doesn't take very long. We agreed that she'd get most of the lessons done while we were at interviews, which is where we're headed now.

"Rya, make sure you wear a coat," I call as the other boys bustle around. Another thing we had to do was go out and buy fall and winter clothes for Rya. Because we've experienced this kind of weather before, we already have warm clothes saved from past visits, but Rya's only ever been in cold places during the summer.

"I'm not cold," she pouts. I chuckle as I grab the black transition coat I got her the day before and hand it to her. "You aren't cold now, but you will be. Come on, put your coat on and grab the laptop, we're running late." She sighs, tugging her coat on. I grab the laptop and hand it to her and she slips it in her little backpack that we bring when we'll be out at interviews and places.

The other boys meet up with us and we all go down to the lobby where security is waiting. We make it down and into the car parked out back without getting mobbed. Ashton decides to make a keek and update the fans on where we're going.

"Hey guys! It's Ashton here, and we're on our way to an interview in Colorado! Say hi boys," he says, turning the phone to face us. I stick out my tongue and Michael makes a weird scrunched up face. Rya gives Cal bunny ears and Cal puffs his cheeks up, then squishes them with the palms of his hands.

"I look like a turtle," he says childishly, making Rya laugh. Ashton giggles too and does a thumbs up before ending the keek, just as we pull into the radio place.

A manager leads us to where we need to be for the interview. "Are you gonna be okay by yourself for a little bit?" I ask Rya, and she nods. "Okay, see you later, bug," I say, ruffling her hair. I look over my shoulder as we go into the room we'll be in for the interview and watch a woman lead Rya to a back room where she can do her lessons.

A/N - Hello my lovelies! I have quite a few of these chapters prewritten, so hopefully I'll be able to update frequently even as exams are approaching:) I hope you all enjoy, xoxo - Em😊💜