15 | Over My Head

Luke keeps a very close eye on my once I'm allowed out of the hospital. He feels guilty about the whole incident, I can tell by the way he watches me. I just don't understand why, it's not like he could have done anything to prevent me from getting it. I did tell him how I got the cut, which is the only reason I can think of as to why he feels guilty. It really wasn't his fault though. I've been trying to convince him of this since I got out of the hospital.

Mum wanted me to come back home, and Luke partially agreed, but I wanted to stay. I know Luke wanted me to stay, too, he just felt guilty and probably like he wasn't a good enough guardian for me. I finally convinced them to let me stay, since there's only a few more shows. I promised mum I'd be back by the end of July. The last show is on July 25th, so we'll be back in Australia by July 28th. Mum reluctantly agreed, and now Luke won't take his eyes off of me. I flop down on the couch next to him as the bus bumps along the road.

"Hi!" I say in a high-pitched voice. He flinches; he always hated when I did this as a child. "Why are you watching me so closely?" I ask, even though I already know the answer. He stares at his phone for a moment, then hesitantly brings his eyes up to mine. I stare back into his innocently. I just want him to tell me how he feels. We used to do that all the time, just not as much once he started getting famous.

"You know you couldn't have done anything," I say after he stares at me in silence. "I can't be protected from everything." He sighs. "I know that. I just — I don't know," he mutters. I smile sadly at him. Was he scared?

"You can talk to me, you know," I say, tilting my head and watching him. He takes a deep breath and sighs. "I know I couldn't do anything, but I hated knowing that. I felt helpless, and I - I was . . . terrified," he whispers, shifting a bit. I frown slightly, looking at how worried he seems by just remembering the situation. "But I'm still here," I say with a smile, laying down and putting my feet on his lap. This was another thing I did that he hated when we were little. "Ugh, move your smelly feet," he says with a chuckle, swatting at them. I giggle, somehow ending up on the floor with my feet still on his lap. "God child, why are you so annoying?" He scolds playfully, struggling to get away from me. I laugh as Ashton lifts me under the arms and drags me away from Luke so I'm sitting fully on the floor before he flops down on the couch, too, followed by Mikey and Cal. "Feel the wrath of Rya!" I scream in a deep voice, jumping on top of all four boys. They all groan and I laugh even harder as they all struggle to get me off of them. Eventually, we just end up in a huge pile on the floor.

"I can always count on you to make me laugh," Luke says with a smile, still chuckling. I grin cheekily, jumping on top of him again. "Oomph!" He gasps, shoving me off of him. "I love youuu," I coo, grinning even wider. Luke just rolls his eyes, tugging my hair gently before walking into the kitchen.

When we arrive wherever they're playing tonight, we go to the venue and look over everything. I walk onto the stage, looking out at the rows and rows of seats that will be full of screaming fans. I feel the stage dip slightly and it feels as if I'm going to fall. I step back, and everything's fine. I shake the worry out of my head and run back over to Luke, who's listening to the manager talk. There's also a rather large man standing nearby, causing my shy side to come out. I hunch my shoulders and cling to Luke, who just smiles down at me fondly.

Cal and Mikey are chasing each other around the venue screaming like idiots. Ashton walks up and rests his arm on my shoulder, ruffling my hair. "Kids," he chuckles, nodding towards Mikey and Cal. I grin deviously and spring after Mikey, my long legs and slender frame catching me up to him easily. I jump onto his back, making him fumble slightly. He regains his balance and tries to shake me off, but I just hold on tighter and he gags. "Can't... breathe," he chokes out. I giggle and readjust my arms so they're not locked around his throat. "To Narnia!" I shout, and Mikey takes off running and screaming after Cal. "Why do I like you people?" Cal says with a chuckle as he watches Mikey struggle to carry me. "Okay get off me little Hemmo, before I die of exhaustion," he says, shrugging me off his back. I drop to my feet and fake a hurt expression. "I'm not that heavy," I pout. "But he's that weak," Ashton jokes. "I hate you people," Mikey says, flipping us off as he walks away. "Hey! Keep it PG!" I shout after him.