My Life

Maya

     I slowly slide my window open, peering into the darkness of my room. It's only about midnight, so my mom might not even be home yet depending on her workload but it's better safe than sorry since I'm not technically supposed to be out past 10. I slide one leg in, resting it on the floor, followed by the other and duck through the window quietly, just in case I'm wrong and she's in the other room.

      I close the window behind me, gritting my teeth against the screech. With a slow exhale I turn on my dim bedside lamp and zip off my black hoodie and boots. I run my fingers though my hair and plop down on my bed, the old springs squeaking loudly.

      The vandalism definitely helped with getting my mind off of the pain in my skull. As much as I hate to admit it, yes, some of that was thanks to Lucas. I would have asked Riley to go with me, but who am I kidding, she'd freak and tell on me. Farkle would have come but he would just squeal about how I invited him and how that proves that we're soulmates. Didn't really leave me many options.

      Now that I'm back in my little apartment, in my little room, alone, I can't help but think... What's happening? I know it's probably nothing, the pain was bound to come back eventually, it just scares me.

      I rotate myself on my bed so that my head is on my good pillow, not the cheap ones my mom buys at Goodwill. I brace myself for sleep, not bothering to change into pajamas.

      I've tried to make my room look as nice as it can be, I put up purple semi see-through curtains, I have my own desk, which is actually a really nice thing for me, and each of my pillows has a pillow case and I have a comforter, all blue. This is really good for my family. I'm still not allowed to paint my walls due to the fact that we rent the apartment, so there's just the stained beige with the occasional crack that look back at me.

      If you look too closely, you see insect carcasses and dust. I know that's my fault, but I try to spend the least amount of time in here as possible so I don't really sweep the hardwood floors. My clothes go into the four drawers in my bedside table (even though most of them are on the floor). I have a total of three pieces of furniture in my room. My skinny bed practically goes from one wall to the other, that's how small my room is, that's how small our kitchen is, that's how small the other two rooms in here are.

       I try not to complain, my mom is trying so hard and I love her for it, she's had to do it alone for years now, and she's amazing. Not to mention I'm close to Riley who only lives one flor above me, her room right above mine.

       I turn off my light, and get to sleep, still snickering at Huckleberry's cowboy boxers.

. . .

      I wake up at six the next day. Finally Friday. I get up quickly, desperately trying not to fall back asleep. My back aches from my lumpy bed, but that usually goes away by lunch. I put on grey skinny jeans, a black shirt and the same black sweater and boots from last night. I lightly curl my hair and cross the hall to my moms room. I peek in, her limp form lying in bed sleeping. I smile. I leave her a note saying I love her, and I'm going school.

      I run back to my room and climb out the window. I go up the short stairway to Riley's room and jump through her open window.

       "Hey," I hear Riley call from her bathroom at the sound of my boots hitting the floor.

        "Hey," I say back, picking up my favorite stuffed animal of hers, a purple giraffe with a bow tie and sitting on her bay window, resting my eyes and cuddling the giraffe. Riley walks in all dressed five minutes later.

      "So how was your night?" She asks putting in earrings at her jewelry counter.

      "Actually pretty good," I say smiling, "yours?"

      "Good, Auggie and I watched Spy Kids....again," I laugh, we all love those movies, we watch them at lease twice a year. "What did you do?"

     I freeze. I can't tell her the truth, that I was committing a crime, a small one, but a crime none the less. And that I was doing it with Lucas, her crush, I don't know how she'd feel about that. "Nothing, just drew," she smiles.

       We go out to the kitchen where it smells like sausage. My stomach growls.

      Riley looks at me. "Did you eat last night?"

       "Yes, stop worrying," I push her playfully. Even though I didn't. My mom wasn't home and I hate stealing the Mathews's food all the time.

      "That's what I'm for," she says smiling.

      We sit down at our usual seats, Auggie sitting in my lap today, I scarf down bacon and eggs. I want to eat more, knowing that I'll be starving later, but my stomach isn't accustomed to large amounts of food and I don't wanna risk throwing up all this goodness.

     "Maya, come on," I hear Riley say from behind me. I hadn't even noticed she'd gotten up, I was focusing on trying to eat slowly as to not look desperate.

      "Bye girls!" Mrs. Mathews yells from behind us as we leave. For some reason, I'm looking forward to school more today than I usually am. I'm usually excited because I can be around Riley and not be stuck in my apartment, but I don't know, today seems like there's more to it.