Spots

Lucas

I can't get to sleep. I don't know if it's being in a different bed or worrying about Maya, but I can't even close my eyes. I turn on the tv across from my parents bed, switch the channel to Disney and put it on mute. It's playing reruns of Wizards of Waverly Place. I sort of secretly have a Disney obsession, even though I'm almost seventeen. A smile slips on to my lips thinking of what kinds of taunts Maya would throw at me if she found out.

I watch for hours. It's has to be close to two in the morning when I hear a noise outside my door. I keep still, I might have imagined it but it's not like watching Disney Channel gets your mind in a paranoid place. I strain my ears and that's when I hear it again. I throw my blanket off of me and rush to the door as quietly as I can. I slide it open and step out in one swift motion.

Is it a burglar? Oh, God. I've never been afraid to be at home when my parents are off on their trips, but right now, I'm pretty freaked. And then I remember. Maya's here. I can practically feel my heart speed up at the reminder. She could be in danger right now while I'm standing in the hall like a mindless statue.

I carefully start tiptoeing over to her door, making sure to avoid the floorboards I know squeak. Once I'm there, I turn the knob slowly before pushing the door open. The lights are off and I can't see much.

"Maya," I whisper. There's no answer. Is that good? Is that bad? I resist cursing as I ease the door closed behind me and go over to my bed. I feel around for my dresser before and turn on my bedside lamp as soon as I find it. I doubt Maya would like waking in the dark to me standing over her creepily.

The bed's empty. My fast heartbeat doubles, fear rising in my chest. Did the burglar take her? Is there even a burglar or was it her?

I look around the room panicked, and then I see that the window's open. The window can only open from the inside, so that means...

Maya left. There's no burglar, just Maya opening the window. I sit in my bed, honestly disappointed. She looked so lost out in the rain today. I wanted to help. I spot my purple hippo and pick it up with a smile. I pet its head like I used to and let out a sigh. If she wanted to leave, fine. Doesn't matter to me.

I bury the weirdly darn feeling in my chest and move to stand. Maybe I'll be able to sleep now.

      That's when I stop cold. Wait a second. It's like two in the morning. In New York.

There's no need to be stealthy so I don't even try. I bolt downstairs and burst out the door, not even bothering to lock it. I slip on my shoes as I speed walk. Maya couldn't have gotten far, she was maybe five minutes ahead of me and mg legs are way longer than hers. She's Shortstack for a reason.

Her apartment is about a mile and a half from my house. I'm outside her building in ten minutes, panting from my sprint. Maya was nowhere to be found on the streets. That could be very bad, or very good.

I go to the side of the red brick building and start climbing the fire escape. Maya's room is the third floor fire escape window. Don't ask me how I know that.

I look into her room but don't see anything, its too dark, not even a lamp on. I tap her window quietly, and I see movement. I have a moment of doubt that this is some random persons apartment and I got it wrong before Maya opens the window and I sigh with relief.

"Huckleberry!" She hisses quietly. "What are you doing?" She looks behind her as if anyone would be able to hear her whisper.

"What're you doing?" I whisper back, "you just left." I can't quite temper the worry that sneaks in to my tone.

"I-," she stops, looking uncomfortable. "I couldn't sleep without Spots," she mumbles. She won't meet my eyes, her blond hair falling in front of her face as she looks to the side. 

"Spots?" I ask. In response to my question, she brings her arm up to reveal and a small and battered stuffed panda bear. I snort, trying not to laugh.

Clearly I fail at that because she whispers, "Whatever, Texas," and starts to close the window on me.

"No no no! I'm sorry ok?" I say holding the window so she can't close it. "Are you gonna stay here tonight?" I ask her. I can't say I like the thought. Not with how she was so adamant about staying away.

"No way," she steps out of the partial moonlight filtering in through the glass and I can't see her. I wait, not knowing what I'm supposed to do. I hear some shuffling before she reappears seconds later with an armful of clothes. "Move," she says quite rudely. I laugh, step out of her way, and put my hands up in surrender. She climbs out the window, quietly shutting it behind her.

"I'll hold Spots for you," I say plucking the panda off the top of her stack once we're on the ground again.

"No you won't," she almost yells, yanking him from my grip and pulling him into her chest. "No one touches him but me and Riles," she announces haughtily. We walk in silence for the twenty minutes it takes to get back to my house.

. . .

"So you're not going anywhere right?" I ask from the door as Maya slips into my bed. She's put her clothes on top of my dresser and is holding Spots in her arms, like she's shielding him from my grabby hands.

"As far as you know," she mutters, fluffing a pillow and putting it behind her.

"Maya," I say. She continues getting comfortable, but when I don't continue with my sentence she looks at me weirdly.

"What?" She asks.

"Seriously," I say firmly. She lays down and closes her eyes.

"I'll be here," she mumbles and then quickly falls asleep.

I can't be sure if she's faking just to get me to leave, but I'm tired and I believe her.

"You better," I whisper and turn off her lights.