Empty New York

Maya

       I smile at myself in my misty bathroom mirror. I comb my wet hair and put my pajamas on. My room is dark as I turn off my bathroom light and of course I'm home alone. Archie's gone and my mom has assured me that he'll never be back as long as she lives.

        I know it's my house and all, but I don't feel as safe as I do at Lucas's. I know it's not the house that makes me feel safe though, it's Lucas. I never want to leave him and it sucks that when his parents are home I can't sleep over. I feel bad for wanting them to be gone again. Honestly my mom is fine with me sleeping there because she trusts me, and I know his parents trust him but they're so conventional that I just know we'd have to be married for them to be cool with a girl sleeping in his room.

          I turn off my faint lamp as I crawl into my squeaky bed. I love my bed and I've missed it. I close my eyes and try to smile myself to sleep but when has that ever worked.

        I thrash in my bed, it's so cold. I look at my clock and it reads 1:24. Oh my god why's it so cold!? I miss Lucas's body heat and ache for his muscular arms around me.

        I get up and sit on the edge of my bed. I sigh and run my fingers through my wet hair. I can't take it anymore and decide to sneak through Lucas's window. I don't want him to get in trouble but the more I stay here the less safe I feel, and I need his warm body to hug me to sleep.

         Then I feel it. Not just the hint of uncomfortable I was feeling before, but full on fear and dread. The blood leaves my face as I hear the front door unlock.

         I know it's Archie, I just do. I scramble for the window in complete panic and spontaneity just as my bedroom door flings open. I hear him growl as I run down the fire escape. I look up to see the face I've been dreading but he's no where to be seen. With every step I take my heart seems to beat faster.

          My feet hit the ground and I sprint. I should probably be going in the direction of the police or something but I'm going to Lucas. I don't know if it's out of habit or what. What if I'm just hallucinating? Another thing wrong with my brain. I turn around and see Archie running after me. Oh god.

        I run harder. His face was pure hatred and I swear I caught a glimpse of a knife in his hand. Of course I left my phone at home so I can't call anyone. We're on the sidewalk but for once in my life there isn't a sign of a car on this New York street.

         "You can't outrun me, Sweetie!" I want to cry hearing his voice and remembering what he did to me, or almost did. I hit myself for not just running up to the Matthews's apartment. Why didn't I think of that sooner! Its getting harder to breath and i choke down a sob. My bare feet hurt with every step and my wet hair makes my neck numb with cold. The street is bumpy, cutting up my feet and abandoned gum threatens to stick me to the street forever.

         My ankle does something I can't explain and I fall like a bowling pin. No! The dim yellow light of the street shows me how crazy his hair is as he gets on top of me. He's breathing heavily and his breath is ratchet.

         "Hey Hart," he breathes.  He has my wrists pinned under his knees. "You know, I don't appreciate what you did to me," he takes his knife and lightly trails it across me cheek.

         "No," I whimper.

         "That's what you said that day, but I knew you meant yes," he presses harder on the knife and I refuse to yell as I feel the blood trickle to my ear. He leans his head down and smiles at me. He moves the knife closer to me eye. I work through the pain and smile at him. He looks at me shocked, the knife moves from my face for just a second and I use that time to head butt him with all I have.

         He yells in pain and I move my knee upwards to kick him in the crotch. He wavers to one side with a scrunched up face which frees my right arm. I rip it out from under him and move the heel of my hand towards his nose. He screams and I do too at the sound of his nose cracking. He falls off of me and I get up. He's recovering quickly but I don't wait around to see anything else. I take off again. I hear him behind me once again and try to run faster but my ankle still hurts.

         I feel his fingers touch my elbow and I scream. I see Lucas's house but it looks so far away. I scream his name even though I know he probably can't hear me.

        "Shut Up!" I hear from just behind me. I stop dead in my tracks and duck. Archie trips over my body and I run past him as he recovers. I can feel the bruises forming on my back from his shoes.

          I'm almost to Lucas's house when I see his front door open and his parents come outside. I've never been so happy to see them.

         "Help!" I scream. Mr. Friar makes the connection fast and runs towards me. He doesn't stop at me though, he's going for Archie. I glance behind me and see that Archie's now the one being chased.

       Lucas comes running out just as I step on his lawn. I run into his arms, scared to slow down. I feel him and his mom wrap their arms around me. My wet hair sticks to my face. I won't let myself cry, not in front of his mom, not today.

                                   .  .  .

           The blanket the police gave me is still around my shoulders as I sit on the Friar's couch well after the police took Archie away. Lucas is sitting next to me with his arm draped across my shoulders. I know he's staring at the gash below my eye but I can't bring myself to look into his sad eyes. The front door opens and I hear my mom yelling my name. I stand up as she rounds the corner.

          "Oh my god," she exclaims when she sees me. She wastes no time looking at me and hugs me tight. I hug her back. I would cry if I had any tears to spare. "Are you okay?" She asks pulling away and holding my face. "What am I saying, of course you're not," she sees the blood on my face and her eyes swell with tears. "Come on, Honey let's go home."

         She takes my hand but I don't budge. I look at Lucas and he stands up. I haven't spoken since the police interrogated me. I whisper, my voice hoarse, "I don't want to leave Lucas," my mom looks at Lucas and at me. She nods.

        "Oh," I give the faintest smile to my mom. Lucas takes my other hand and kisses it. He looks at his parents for approval.

        "Maya," Mr. Friar says, "you'll always be safe when we're here."

         Mrs. Friar puts her hand on my shoulder. "You're like a daughter to us and you're always welcome here, but you should be with your mom tonight." She looks at Lucas. "Go," she says to him. I smile at her and at my mom who looks thankful.

          The drive home is silent, me and Lucas in the back seat, my head resting on his shoulder. I fall asleep, running and screaming all night makes a girl tired.