Red

Lucas

       I hate to admit it, but I actually forgot about Maya for a minute or two. I was dancing with my friends and having such a great time that I forgot to make sure Maya was having a good time too.

        I break away from the designated dance floor and make my way to the couch. Riley, Farkle, Archie, and Zay are there laughing about something, but I don't see Maya. This is the only place I thought she would go, to her friends.

        "Have you guys seen Maya?" I yell over the music as I tower over them. They shake their heads and I groan.

       "Do you want me to help you look?" Riley asks, getting ready to stand up. I shake my head and motion for her to stay seated.

         Maya wasn't enjoying the party but I know that she wouldn't leave without me, she would want to find somewhere quiet.

       Someone throws up behind me and I cringe at the sound and smell. I quickly walk to the stairs. I climb them and already the music seems quieter. This is where she would go. I'm surrounded by couples and the constant sound of their kissing makes me wish the music was louder again.

       I scour the crowd but don't see my Blonde. I walk to the closest door in the long hallway and knock. When there's no answer I open it to see a group of people passed out on the floor and couches. I see none are Maya so I move to the next door which is filled with kids playing spin the bottle. I see Missy participating.

        "Has anyone seen Maya?" I ask. They seem annoyed at the interruption but point to the door across the hall. "Thanks," I say and close the door. I turn the handle on the door they pointed to but it's locked.

        "Maya?" No answer. "I know you're in there," still no answer. I sigh, "I'm sorry I left you for a minute back there, are you okay?" When she doesn't answer I start to get annoyed. I kneel down on the carpet, in hopes of seeing her feet or something. Through the slim crack under the door I see her arm sprawled on the floor. Her black clothes unforgettable. "Maya!" I say, louder, she doesn't move.

       I spring to my feet. I feel my heart beat faster and my breathing becomes more rapid. I grab the door handle and shake it. The door jiggles but doesn't give. I shove my shoulder against it, needing to get to her. Pain shoots through my arm but the door doesn't budge. I ram my shoulder into the door again. Nothing. My shoulder aches. I take a step back and put my whole body behind it as I jump at the door. It flings against the wall, still intact with its hinges.

      My throat tightens as I see Maya on the floor. Her arms are sprawled out, her legs are curled. Her face is towards the opposite wall, inches from he bathtub, but I see blood in her ear. I run to her and drop to my knees. "Someone call 911!" I yell at the group of people that have assembled outside of the door, probably intrigued as to why I broke down a door.

        Maya's face is paler than usual and there's blood, more than there should be. It's running down her ears and onto the floor and her nose is dripping with it. I think I see her eyes faintly flutter.

        I pull her up so her head is against my chest "Maya," I say, rocking with her. I hug her whole body to me and I just faintly feel a heartbeat.

        "Please baby," I mumble. I drop of blood falls onto my shirt, joining even more blood that has accumulated there from her ear. I pull my hand to her face and try to stroke away the blood from her nose but whenever I wipe it, it's replaced by more. Her eyes open ever so slightly. "Hey, you're alright baby, I'm here, it's okay."

         I see a corner of her mouth raise ever so slightly, as if to acknowledge me. And her eyes slowly close again. I take her hand and suck in a shaky breath. One of her fingers twitches on mine. I kiss her cheek and hold in a sob as I taste blood. I move my hand though her hair to try to comfort her but only end up hurting myself more as I see the blood I've dragged through it.

       I hug her to me and burry my face in her neck as I rock us. I feel eyes on me but I don't care, the limpness of Maya's body is the only thing I care about.

       Paramedics are here, coming in and surrounding me.

Maya

       Everything's fuzzy. Am I going blind? There's a ringing in my ears that seems to be the only sound I can hear. I see a light, it's bright and I close my eyes to make it go away. I hear a faint boom. I cringe at the sound, only to realize, I can't cringe, I can't move. And I don't care. I'm too tired to try.

       I feel a hand on my head, I feel my chest and head being raised. My eyes try to open, but I only got a glimpse of hair before they close again. The buzzing in my ears hasn't subsided, but I hear a voice. It's Lucas. I can't hear what he's saying but I know it's him. My head is against his warm chest and I can hear his heartbeat. I feel myself smile, or at least try to. He's here, he's with me.