Back At It

Maya

    At 9:30 pm the next day, I had already been up for seven hours. Lucas drifted in and out of sleep as I watched The Vampire Diaries on his giant living room tv. I was bored with him sleeping but I also didn't want to leave him so I just watched his tv like it was my own and enjoyed actually having a Netflix account. He even likes my favorite show now, although that might have been his cold talking.

       I'm getting tired though, I want to lay down somewhere but Lucas is on the couch and no way I'm going to go upstairs and not even be able to see if he's ok. I consider carrying him up to his room but I know I could never make it, I'm strong and all but not strong enough to carry myself and someone who ways 50 pounds more than me up stairs.

      I settle with making a small bed next to him on the floor. I lay down and right when I'm almost asleep Lucas's arm drapes over the couch, just missing my face. I try not to smack it out of the way of my vision. Then I see his hand, so open just hanging there and I can't help but take it in mine and hug it to myself like a kid does with a teddy bear.

      I wake up a couple hours later and Lucas is still sleeping. It's 7:00 on a Friday. Riley has texted me if I'm going to be at school today, I don't know though. I'm not going to leave Lucas here alone if he's still sick, seriously, are his parents ever home? But I've missed almost two days of school.

      I hear a snort from above me and Lucas sits up, having woken himself up with the noise. I laugh a little at his alarmed look and messy hair.

      "Well good morning my little lamb," the thing I've learned about Lucas when he's sick is that you can call him whatever you want and he's too tired to object.

      "Stop with that," he says, with a hint of a smile. He throws the blanket he was using off of himself and stretches. I stand up and try my best to comb out his ridiculous bed head.

      "So I take it you're feeling better?"

      "Actually, yeah. I feel really good," he smiles up at me.

       "I'm happy for you and all, but does this mean we have to go to school?" I pout, and he smiles.

        "Yes, my princess, we have to go to school,"

       "Ew, princess? Really with that?" He takes my hands in his and swings them back and forth.

         "Haven't you heard the new bed time story about the lamb and princess falling in love?" I suppress a smile at his ridiculousness. "Oh, yeah it's a big hit with the kids, princesses marrying animals is totally legal now," I do laugh at that.

       "Is it now?"

       "Totally. EQUALITY!" He yells and pulls my arms down and me with them onto the couch hugging me. I try to get away but I'm laughing too much to actually use effort.