Party: Pt 1

Lucas

     Today's the day, I'm 17. My parents took me out of the house this morning right after breakfast, we went to an old vintage video game arcade and we went to a not at all fancy restaurant. It was perfect, but I can't help but be curious about what Missy was talking about. I know Maya's hiding something and I just assumed that it was about my birthday, but it's already four o'clock and I haven't even seen her. She texted me this morning but that's it.

       I get out of the car and walk up to my front door, taking my keys out from my pocket. My parents say something about bible study and then drive off. What!? The door in front of me opens and I whip my head around, expecting a burglar. It's Riley, holding a cup. There are a bunch of people behind her and before I can register what's happening they all simultaneously yell "Surprise!"

        I can feel a smile spreading across my face as Riley grabs my arm and yanks me inside. All my friends from school are here, all of them. Riley's wearing a swim suit and I'm confused until I see that everyone is, pool party, aww yeah.

       Music is thumping from speakers placed on the walls, there are two tables covered in all kinds of chips and vegetables and even pizza! Riley leads me out back to the pool and people are jumping in or laughing or playing football on the grass. There are even speakers out here too and a snow cone machine!

       "Oh my god!" I yell, so amazed. Riley laughs: Farkle comes running up in his swim trunks with wet hair. He tackles me in a hug yelling "Happy Birthday Bro!"

      Laughing, I yank him off of me and he immediately grabs Riley's hand and jumps in the pool, followed by a screaming Riley who drops her snow cone. When they resurface Riley laughs and kisses Farkle. "Go change!" She yells to me as Farkle carries her bridal style and tries to swim like that. "And this was all Maya by the way, she's upstairs I think," Riley adds before getting pulled underwater when Farkle steps into the deep end of the pool.

      I try to stop smiling but I can't. I run upstairs to go put on my swimsuit. I open my bedroom door and see Maya tying a balloon while sitting on my bed. My ceiling is covered in blue and white balloons, my favorite colors. She jumps at the sound of the door opening and the balloon rises to the ceiling to accompany the others.

      "You're early," she states upset, she stands up and puts the helium tank on the floor. I laugh and wrap my arms around her and spin her around. She gasps and holds on for dear life.

       "You're the best you know that?" I put her down and she tries to smooth her hair. So she doesn't like to be spun? I'll make a note to do that more often then. "Like, seriously the best,"

      "Well you deserve all this," she smiles and tries to straighten out her wrinkled T-shirt that's covering her bikini. I see that the shirt is way too big on her and then realize it's mine. That makes me smile too. I grab her again but this time I put my lips to hers. She relaxes into it after a second of unsureness. I put my hand to her neck and realize I'm probably messing up her hair again but she doesn't seem to care. I feel her smile and I do too until we have to pull away.

       I look at her stunning eyes and adorable nose and beautiful lips and can't help but notice how incredible perfect she is.

     "I should probably change now," I finally say. Her eyes focus on mine and she nods. I lower my arms from her and she rubs her head and clears her throat.

      "I'll meet you downstairs," she says. I smile at her uncomfortableness, it's not like we haven't kissed like that before, she's just not good at talking about how she feels so she avoids it.

      "Okay, I love you," I say, that gets a smile out of her.

      "Just change you goof," she walks out, closing the door behind her.

                                . . .

       "Cannonball!" I yell and lift my feet from the ground only to soon be engulfed in water. The sun is already going down which triggers the pool lights to turn on. I come up from the water and wipe my face. The sound of the party is sudden after the quiet of being underwater.

       Maya doesn't like swimming, but she came into the pool anyway. I swim over to her and sweep her up. She's so light underwater and I feel like I can hold her forever. I'm surprised when she puts her arm around my neck, I was expecting her to try to push me off. "Only because it's your birthday," she states. I laugh and Farkle and Riley swim over.

       "We challenge you two to a chicken fight!" He says. Maya groans and Riley claps excitedly.

       "You're on!" I say back. I put Maya down and go underwater. I see her legs and before I know it I'm back above the water with Maya on my shoulders. It takes Farkle a bit longer to be able to stand with Riley on his shoulders and as we wait Maya holds my hands.

      "Ok ok we're ready," he says and it begins. I stand my ground and glare at Farkle and he does the same as the girls try to push each other over. I hold onto Maya's legs and try my best to stay standing. Farkle lasted longer than I expected but soon enough he and Riley go falling.

      "Yeah!" I yell and jump up and down a little causing Maya to grip my head. I laugh and duck back underwater. I come up after Maya steps off of my neck and I hug her. "My baby's the queen of chicken fighting!"

       "That's totally what I want to be known to the world for," she says sarcastically, "How about ruler of the chicken people?"

      "Haha, as you wish,"

      All of us stand in the pool or sit on the edges and watch the sun go down. Maya stands in front of me and holds my arms that are wrapped around her. She keeps saying that she's only letting me do this in public because it's my birthday, but I know she likes it. I kiss her head and then she goes to get us some Doritos. Best. Day. Ever.