Guest

Maya

        Archie's been here for only a day and he's getting back into his old rythm with the group. He's seemed to shake his old bad boy attitude which is of course what drew me to him. He's compassionate now, always hanging with us all and calling us his besties. He won't tell us, however, why he's back. That's a mystery, just like how his dark clothes don't match his bubbly personality.

       Riley was the one who introduced him to all of us six years ago. He was sweet with an edge and new to school. Of course Riley wanted to welcome him and set him straight, Farkle was just glad to have a new guy friend. It was me that fell. I was only eleven at first, I didn't know what I was feeling. I was snappy and rude to the boy who made my stomach queasy. Through the years I got nicer towards him. We started getting close because of our passion for mischief.

        We got busted for our pranks almost every time we pulled them but that never stopped us. The rush I got in the midst of a scheme, and not to mention the butterflies I got around him. When we were thirteen there was a dance. We were planning a big prank of spiking the punch with tequila.

        He had the flask and we were both walking to the punch bowl when a teacher got in the way. Archie pulled me to him, trying to look inconspicuous at we slow danced. I still remember the nerves. He was smiling at me the whole time, no doubt noting my blushing. When the coast was clear he went to the punch bowl.

         He was caught and got suspended, never leading on that I had any part in it. His parents decided it was the last straw and took a job in Australia where they had family. The last day before they were set to leave, he came to school to say goodbye. There were a lot of tears, not from me, mostly Riley. He led me outside, alone and told me that he would never forget me and that he would see me again. He was right. Anyway, he leaned in and kissed me. I wasn't expecting it at all, but boy did I want it. And then he was gone.

          It's strange to see him again. Ever since Lucas, I hadn't even thought about him. I still get butterflies around Archie though. It's just left over from all those years ago, it'll go away. Besides, I have Lucas, what more could I ever want.

        Speaking of Lucas, he's very curious about Archie. "So, were you and Archie ever a thing?" He asks me one night when we're cuddled up on the couch.

        "No," I state, because we weren't. "But," I start. Lucas maneuvers himself to look at me, "he was my first kiss." Lucas just nods and looks back at the tv. "I had a crush on him, but we were just kids, and obviously that's long over. I have you," I lay my head in the crook of his neck. His arms tighten around me and I feel his lips on my forehead.

      I move my head up towards him and our lips meet. It's a Tuesday and I'm tired of school and its a relief to feel the sensation of his lips again, even if it has only been a few hours. I have to be home for dinner in a half hour, Mom goes to work later tonight so we can actually have dinner together. I ache at the thought of leaving him. He walks me to the door and puts my coat on my shoulders. He gives me a long kiss before I go on my way. "I'll come see you after dinner," I state and he smiles.

         I've been spending a lot of nights at his house, Mom's usually working nights and it gets lonely. Not to mention being with him is the highlight of my day.

         When I get home the first thing I notice is a man's coat on our coatrack. My heart starts to race. Is it possible my dad is back. I slowly turn the corner into my kitchen and a flood of relief flows through me, and then confusion. Archie is sitting at my dinner table.

       "Hey honey," my mom says putting down a plate of chicken in front of my seat. I sit down and smile politely at Archie. My mom wasn't always a fan of him but that must have changed over the years. "I have some news," she says. "Archie will be staying with us for awhile," my mouth hangs open in shock. "His parents need to settle some things back in Australia before they can get a house here."

       Archie is smiling at me and I smile back, holding in my confusion. "Welcome home, then," I say. He laughs and leans over the table to hug me.

        He's staying on the couch, and I feel bad for him having no parents with him, but the selfish part of me kind of wants him to just leave and not cause any drama.

       After dinner, Mom leaves and Archie is laying on the couch, sleeping I guess. I get my house key and open the door, ready to go to Lucas's.

         "Where are you going Missy?" I turn around surprised and see Archie sitting up on the couch.

         "None of your business," I say.

         "Cowboy's house? Naughty naughty," he says with a shake of his head.

        "Don't call him that. And again, it's none of your business."

         I close the door and lock it, I could have sworn I heard him say, "We'll see about that."