No Boys Allowed

Maya

       I climb into my room through my window. I know I'm probably being paranoid but I'm scared to see if Archie's still here. It's a little after six and I'm sure my mom's still at work. I'm only here to get some clothes before heading up to Riley's. I don't turn on my light and I try to be as quiet as I can. Like I said, paranoid. He's probably not even here.

        Even so, my heart still races. I hear something and whip my head around, ready to scream. It's someone tapping on my window. Lucas. I put my hand to my heart and exhale as I walk over to let him in.

       "Dude! Not cool," I say as I open the window. I turn back around to continue packing.

        "Sorry, cutie." He says, lowering himself in.

        "Why the window?" I ask, annoyed by the "cutie" he added.

        "I saw you do it, thought it would be funny," he says innocently. I shove a grey pair of jeans into my backpack.

        "Ha-ha," I mock. He wraps his arms around me from behind, trapping my arms.

        "I'm sorry," he whispers in my ear and kisses my neck. Goosebumps make there way from my neck to my arms. I close my eyes. "Why were you so jumpy anyway?" He ask, leaning his head on mine.

        "I don't know," I admit. "I guess I'm still worried that Archie never left," I feel Lucas stiffen at the mention of Archie's name. He eases up a little after a few seconds.

        "Don't worry, we haven't seen him at school all week. You haven't asked your mom if he's still staying here?" I shake my head.

        "I've hardly seen her, she's working so much," I say, relaxing into Lucas's hug trap.

        "I'm sure he's gone. You can always stay with me or Riley, you know that," he says. He loosens his grip on my and arms and uses his now free hands to stroke my arms.

         "I know, I just feel bad never being home. I don't want my mom to worry about me," I say. His warms hands are wiping my goosebumps away. "Are you coming to Riley's too?" I ask. Riley and I planned this movie night/sleepover a few days ago, I just didn't know it would be open to boys.

         "No, I just wanted to check up on you on my way home from the restaurant. Family dinner and all," he says.

        "Your parents are back?" I ask, turning around to face him. I almost forgot about their existence to be honest.

        "Yeah, only until Thursday, then they're going back to Peru or wherever," he says, tightening his hold on me again, his hands clasped on my lower back.

         "Sorry, I know you miss them," I whisper. He smiles and closes his eyes. Leaning his forehead against mine.

         "Well I'm not all alone am I," he states.

          "True that," I say. It sometimes feels weird to have these meaningful conversations with Lucas. I used to thrive on teasing him and hiding how i felt, but now, he knows how I feel, and he knows that all the teasing I do now is because I love him.

         "I should probably head up to Riley's," I say quietly, not wanting to open my eyes or leave his hold. He sighs, feeling the same way. I lift my forehead from his. My arms are against his chest and I play with a button on his shirt.

        "Have fun, okay? If you need anything, you know what to do," I nod at his offer. My fingers want to undo the button I'm playing with. It's hard to resist the idea of seeing his bare chest, but I know I have to go. I look up from the button. I pull my hands away and put my arms behind his neck. "I love you," he says.

        It's still kind of hard for me to say. Of course I feel it, I love him so much, but there's just something in me that always tells me to not say it. He says it so causally. And that's one of the things I love about him. "I love you too," I say. He kisses me. I curl my fingers in his soft hair, one of the best feelings in the world. He pulls away too soon and grabs my backpack for me.

         I walk to the door and stop. I know Archie's not there. I know it. But what if he is. Lucas grabs my hand. I feel his strength in me and open my bedroom door.

          Topanga opens the front door just seconds after I knock. "Maya, I haven't seen you in too long, you even knocked!" she hugs me immediately, and I've missed the feeling of her hugs, it has been too long.

          "I know, haha," I say, hugging her back.

          "I've missed you girly," she says letting go. She smiles at me and then at Lucas. "Riley was right, you two do make a cute couple," I feel myself blush.

          "Thanks Mrs. Matthews, I've always thought so," Lucas says. He takes my backpack off of his shoulder and hands it to me. I turn to him.

         "Thanks, I'll see you tomorrow," I say. I feel Mrs. Matthews walk away so I think it's safe to give him a little peck.

         He smiles as I pull away. "See you tomorrow," he agrees. I go inside and close the door behind me.

           "Maya!" I hear Auggie yell. I turn around just in time to be jumped on by Auggie. I gasp in surprise and wrap my arms around him so he won't fall to the floor. I laugh.

          "Woah! You're hair's grown," I observe. I put him down and nods proudly. His brown curls almost come down to his eyes.

           "I wish I could stay up and watch the movie with you guys," he says sadly.

         I give him another hug. "I know, Buddy, but I'll see you in the morning," he nods and runs to his bedroom, followed closely by Topanga. I make my way to Riley's room. I knock and open the door.

          Riley looks surprised. "No window?" She asks. I laugh.

          "I had company," she nods in understanding. Then her face lights up.

         "Okay, so moment of truth," she says. "Parent Trap or Aquamarine?" I smile and point.