Questionable

Maya

      I wake up at Riley's house on her couch. I stare at the white ceiling for minutes before I have the strength to sit up. I don't rember how I got here. The tv is on but there's hardly any noise coming from it. The tv clock says  its 3 in the afternoon.

      "Hello?!" I call out.

      "Your awake!" I scream at the sudden face of Riley that popped up from behind the couch. "How are you feeling?" She asks standing up and coming around the couch to sit next to me.

      "Like I died from fear," I say holding my chest.

       "Good, you feel good enough to be sarcastic," I'm confused.

       "Why wouldn't I be?"

     "Remember thanksgiving?" I think back. Oh! I remember a dancing zebra and then Lucas picking me up and then... a nurse?

      "How long ago was that?!" I demand.

      "Two days," I hold my head. Oh my god. "You were in and out of consciousness when you were in the hospital yesterday. They said you're fine, don't worry. They emptied your stomach pretty early on so you only had a small case of salmonella."

       I shake my head. "Where's Lucas?" I'm so used to him always being here, being one of the first people I see when I wake up.

      "School. I was able to convince my dad to let me stay home with you today," she smiles. I nod and lay back, suddenly getting a rush of nausea. "Thanks Riles,"

       "My pleasure. So how are things going with you and Lucas?" She asks, scouting closer, clearly wanting me to spill some dirt.

       "Good. It's no big deal,"

       "You love him right? That's a pretty big deal. He loves you too. Big deal. He saved your life just last month! Big deal."

        "Talking about commitment is really not helping with my nausea," I tell her, closing my eyes. "And neither is mentioning that car accident,"

      "Sorry," she says. "I am proud of you though,"

      "Why? Because I ate a fish from a toilet?"  She laughs and then looks disgusted.

        "No, for being in such a long term relationship. I know it must be hard for you but you've done it. You must have doubts all the time and you must be scared and-"

       "Riley! Not helping,"

       "Right, sorry," The door opens and in come the Matthews.

       "Maya! You're awake!" Cory comes over to me and kisses my head. I smile up at him. "How're you feeling?" He asks. I shrug and he accepts it as an answer.

     Lucas comes in behind them and I smile. The first real one since I've woken up. He rushes up to me and hugs me. The Matthews all just kind of walk away trying to give us space.

      "I'm so sorry baby! I'm so so sorry!"

      "I'm ok, and don't call me baby," he lets go and smiles at me.

      "I love you. And you look flawless right now by the way,"

       "You're cute when you flirt," I say laying my head on his chest.