Something Wrong?

Lucas:

     I see Maya and Riley down the hall at their side by side lockers as soon as I walk through the front doors. "Hey," I say as I approach them. Riley closes her locker quickly and smiles as she whips towards me.

     "Hi!" She says back a little too enthusiastically. I laugh and look at Maya.

     "Sup," she replies, not bothering to do more than glance at me as she fiddles with something in her locker. I do an exaggerated head nod to go with her "Sup" and she rolls her eyes closing her locker. Her phone makes a sound and Riley tries to look over. I'm guessing most of their messages come from each other so it's always a guessing game to see who else it is. She pulls it out, angling away and her face falls, only for a second before it goes back to her usual non interested expression. She quickly puts it away and looks up, obviously not wanting to share. Did Riley catch the slip up?

     "So what are you guys doing this weekend?" I ask them, fidgeting with my messenger bag strap.

      "My family and I are going to visit my aunt up by the beach," Riley says starting to walk towards class. Maya and I take up spots on either side of her.

      "That's cool," I say. "My family loved the beach in Texas," I say. The beach down in Texas wasn't as...unusual as the one here in New York.

      We sit at our desks just as the bell rings, Maya still having said nothing

      Ten minutes into class I get a bit suspicious. Maya's elbow isn't resting on my desk like it always is and she hasn't made fun of Mr. Mathews once. I can't see her face but I don't think she's smiling one bit. That's not suspicious exactly, but there's usually a smirk on her face every few minutes.

      The lunch bell rings an hour later, and Maya gets her stuff and walks out, not even waiting for Riley. The second day in a row.

      "Maya?!" Riley calls after her, as she hurriedly packs up her backpack and follows. My suspicion has now grown to concern. I don't think Maya's ever gone this long without talking or making a snarky comment.

     I make my way to the lunch table and see Maya sitting down with her hands in her lap, looking spaced out. Riley plops down next to her and tries to get Maya's attention. I sit down right in front of Maya. At my movement her head jerks back and she looks at Riley. A look of amusement on her face. I don't buy it.

      "Sorry, what did you say?" Maya asks. Riley looks at her with disbelief.

       "You're kidding right? What's wrong with you today?" Riley says it gently, not like she's annoyed, more worried.

      "Nothing, just tired that's all." Maya smiles at Riley reassuringly. Riley gives a half smile back, clearly not convinced, and honestly, I'm not either.

     I hand Maya one of my mom's homemade peanut butter cookies.

     "No thanks Huckleberry, not hungry today." I pull the cookie towards me, astonished. Maya loves my moms peanut butter cookies. I always bring two when my mom makes them, one for me and one for her. By the end of lunch, she always ends up with mine too.

     "You ok Short Stack?" I ask. She glares at the question. Like how dare anyone as such a question to Maya Hart.

     "I'm fine," she puts her head in her hand, tracing the wood pattern on our lunch table.

       "You sure Maya? You seem a bit distracted today," Riley says.

       "Yeah, I'm good," she says giving an unconvincing smile, lifting her head.

       "Seriously Maya, you can tell us if something's wrong," I say, trying to slide her the cookie again.

       "Dude! I'm fine!" She says exasperated, clearly not liking all of this attention on her. She shoves the cookie back towards me, it crumbles at the force. I know she doesn't eat right at home, and it just doesn't feel right to let her miss a meal just because she isn't hungry, she's already so skinny. But that's not my decision to make, so I take the cookie. I move to put it back in my lunch bag, maybe she'll want it later.

       Farkle comes over and sits down next to me with his bought lunch.

      "Luke! You have one of your moms cookies!?" He looks at it hungrily, like a cheetah looks at a gazelle.

        "Sorry bro, this ones for Maya." I say, daring to push it once more towards Maya, just so Farkle won't question it. She doesn't move to take it, looking distracted again.

       "Hey Maya," Farkle says and she looks at him, "you alright?" I wince at his question.

       "Oh my god!" Maya yells, pushing away from the table. "I'm fine!" She storms away, not listening to Riley calling after her.

      She didn't come back to class once the bell rang, and I couldn't find her after school. She just went home, in the middle of the day. I don't know Maya super well, but I do know that she doesn't stay home when she has a chance to be somewhere else. Now I'm really confused, and I'll admit I'm worried too.