Almost 17

Maya

       I knock on Lucas's door and wait. It feels weird knocking considering the fact I usually just burst in without warning, but Lucas's parents are finally back for his birthday and I don't want to seem rude or disrespectful.

      I've only met them once and they were so sweet but I still feel like I need their blessing to be with Lucas. They are all so close and I don't want to be the girlfriend who they hate. His father opens the door and smiles.

     "Well hi there Maya," he says in his Texas accent. I'm glad he remembers me. But why wouldn't he, I'm being paranoid.

      "Hi Mr. Friar," I say giving a big smile. I'm wearing a dress which feels strange and uncomfortable but I need to look nice for the sake of my relationship. He motions for me to come in and I do. He closes the door behind me and Lucas's mom appears from the kitchen, wiping her hands on a dish towel.

     "Maya! It's so good to see you!" To my surprise she extends her arms for a hug. It crosses my mind that I've only ever hugged five people in my life and what if I don't do it right? It happens so fast that I just put my arms up and luckily I don't hit her so yay.

     "What brings you here?" She asks as she lets go, her short black hair cut in a perfect bob.

     "I was wondering if you were throwing Lucas a birthday party?" He's turning 17 and i know it's a pretty big deal, only three more years of being a teenager.

      "We are actually, but we don't know what to do yet, other than we want it to be a surprise, and his birthday's in four days! Do you by chance have any ideas?" This is exactly why I came over but for some reason I'm still nervous about saying anything.

      "Well, I was thinking we could just invite some people over here and make it a pool party. I know that sounds pretty boring but if I know Lucas all he wants is to be around his friends." They look at each other and I immediately regret talking. What's wrong with me? Of course it's too boring these people are rich they probably want to go to Sea World or something.

       "That's a great idea darlin," Mr. Friar says. I look up at him trying to not look surprised and I smile.

      "Yeah! Do you mind handing out invitations at school tomorrow? You know his friends better than we do," asks his mom. The front door opens and Lucas walks in holding a basketball.

      "Maya?" He says surprised, pulling down the hoot of his jacket. He walks over to us with a skeptical look on his face.

       "Um, yes to your question," I say to his mom. She smiles and rubs my shoulder before walking back to the kitchen. Her dad smiles at Lucas and me then follows his wife.

      "What was that about? Why are you here? Not that I'm not glad you are but why with my parents?" Lucas asks. I smile mischievously. He squints his eyes at me, confused.

                             . . .

     I've managed to hand out all the invitations without Lucas finding out. When handing them out I realized just how many friends he has, and some of them girls. I'm not jealous, in fact I'm happy. He picked me out if this pool of athletic, beautiful, tall girls and I couldn't be more grateful. Besides the Matthews, Lucas is the best thing that's ever happened to me.

     At lunch he gives me a water and an apple. I also gather pretzels and a cheese stick from Riley and Farkle.

     "So are you gonna tell me?" He asks. I smile and don't make I contact.

       "Nope," i say factually.

       "Come on, I know it's about my birthday, what are they doing?"

     "Nothing," I say taking a bite of my apple.

    Before he can ask anything else, Missy and her posse of wannabes come up from behind us. "So, am I invited?" She asks. My eyes go wide and I look at Lucas who is waiting for me to spill it.

     "And why would you be?" I ask forcing all my bitchiness into my tone hoping she will just drop it and walk away before she spoils anything to Lucas.

      Her mouth opens slightly. "For your information you little annoying brat, I refuse to not be invited," I glance at Lucas and then get up, dragging missy away from the table.

      Lucas yells at me as I walk away "Annoy tiny blonde one! Annoy like the wind!" Missy glares at him from over her shoulder.

     "Ok fine, the party starts at 7 on Saturday, you can come if you promise to not say anything about it to Lucas until then," the party actually starts at 4 but she doesn't have to know that. She'll catch the end of it and will be satisfied and then leave.

      "Deal," she walks away, quickly followed by her three minions. I walk back to the table and Lucas looks at me smugly.

      "I'll figure it out," he states. I sit back down next to him and take his hand.

       "Just you try,"