Small

Lucas

      Maya's mom won't let me see her, she's convinced that it's my fault. It's been three days and I've gone to Maya's apartment each one of them, but she wouldn't let me in.

       I walk up to Maya's door and sigh, knowing the answer that Katie will give me when I ask to see Maya.

        Wait! What the hell is wrong with me, the window! I turn on my heels and walk down the stairs. I run around the building to the fire escape and climb up.

      I knock on her window and I immediately see a figure moving. The darkness of the early night makes it hard to see. The window flies open and a hand grabs me by the shirt and pulls me through the opening. I stumble in trying to stay on my feet. The hand stays to my chest and pulls me forward. I see Maya's face, in front of mine.

      "About time cowboy," I feel her arms move under mine and hug me. I squeeze her as hard as I dare and don't want to let go. Her voice is scratchy, probably from coughing up all that water, or the screaming. It feels like forever until she lets go.

       "I'm so sorry Maya,"

      "For what?" She sits on her bed. She looks tired and small.

      "For not coming back soon enough," my throat burns and it takes me a second to realize I'm about to cry. "And for the fight,"

       "Are you kidding? If you hadn't come back soon enough I wouldn't be here, you saved my life. Again," she pats the bed and I don't even have a funny comeback. I sit next to her, resisting the burning. She takes my hand.

      "And as for the fight, that was all my fault, I don't know what was happening with me," she yawns.

       "I must've done something to upset you. The Texas thing?"

      "Is there a Texas thing?" She asks quietly.

       "No! Absolutely not, I live in New York now. I love Texas but it was so hot I felt like I was melting every day." She laughs a little and then coughs. She looks in pain. I put my hands on her shoulders. She rubs her throat and closes her eyes.

       She leans down and lays on my lap. Our hands still holding. I comb my hand through her hair with my other hand and she's asleep immediately. "I love you," I whisper.

       Almost an hour later her door opens suddenly. It's her mom. I expect her to look pissed, but she actually has a hint of a smile.

      "I'm glad she has you," she says quietly.

       "I'm glad I have her,"

       "You should know though,if you aren't good to her, I know three people that can kill you and have your body never found," I laugh silently. "But she's fragile, she's been through too much,"

        "I know," I comb her hair more.

        "No you don't, she was forced to grow up too soon." I don't really know what to say other than I'm sorry. I can't even say that though, the burning in my throat has come back. I look down at Maya and look at our intertwined hands.

        "But you've made her happier than I've ever seen her since Riley. So thank you,"