Betrayed

Lucas

I'm walking down the school hallway, still wiping my mouth, trying to magically make what just happened go away. It's lunch time so the hall is almost deserted except for the occasional group.

Riley suddenly runs in front of me with a worried look on her face. She bolts straight past me without even seeing me and goes straight into the girls bathroom. I see at least ten other girls surrounding something before the door closes. I get closer to the door. Not in a creepy way though, I'm just curious and concerned.

"Put down that phone!" I hear Riley yell. I've never heard her yell before, she's actually never sounded so serious.

"Riley?" I ask through the door.

"Lucas! Get in here!" I'm surprised by the request and a little hesitant. I don't hear any objections from GeV girls inside so I assume it's safe. I open the door anyway.

Girls look up to me as I enter and move out of my way without hesitation, forming a path for me. I'm confused by their willingness to let a boy into their bathroom but when I look at what they are all so focused on, panic envelops me. It's Maya, her head in Riley's lap as Riley rocks back and forth. "Not again," I say quietly.

"You knew!?" Riley asks angrily. I nod. "How many times did it happen? Why didn't you tell me!?" She's crying now.

"It happened twice. I assumed she would tell you," I feel tears coming to my eyes now too, seeing her on the floor looking so helpless. She was alone when this happened, this was because of me.

"Everyone get out, and I beg you guys, please don't tell any adults, please," Riley pleads. The girls all look worried but they nod.

Once they've all left, I say "It started again when her dad came into town," a tear falls down my cheek and I wipe it away quickly, trying to focus on comforting Riley and not worrying her.

"We just have to wait," Riley says, reassuring herself. "We can't tell anyone or we risk her dad finding out and coming back," I nod.

Maya all of a sudden jolts awake. She gasps and I laugh with glee. She turns to look at us. Riley hugs her and Maya lets her. She looks confused but when she sees me her face is overcome by happiness. Seeing her happy makes me happy and I almost cry again just because of how happy she looks. I smile and move towards her.

Just like that though, her smile turns to hatred. I'm taken aback by the look she gives me. She lets go of Riley and stands up suddenly. She holds onto the sink for support and when I make a move to help her balance she holds out a hand. "No!" She yells.

I step back, her ferociousness scaring me. "Are you ok?" I ask.

"I saw you!" She blurts out, anger in her voice. She's looking over her shoulder at the wall, not able to meet my eyes. I look at her questioningly. "I saw you with Missy," I can almost hear her teeth grinding. Riley looks at me shocked.

"It's not like that! She cornered me in a room."

"You literally just told me that you were all in!" She faces me now, still leaning on the sink. She looks like she's about to turn into a Disney villain.

"I am, Maya," I step forward but her face somehow turns even more angry, forcing me not to advance any more. "She kissed me, I pushed her away immediately. She basically attacked me! It lasted half a second. I would never do that to you,"

She turns towards the wall again and I swear I see a tear on her cheek.

"I think you better leave, Lucas," Riley says stepping in between me and Maya. I look at her, pleading with my eyes. She gives me an apologetic look, obviously believing me, but she crosses her arms and I get the point.

"I'm sorry Maya," I say over my shoulder. She clenches her eyes shut and bites her lip. The door starts to close. Her body jerks in a silent sob and Riley goes to hug her. That's the last image I have of the love of my life before the door closes. That's something that's going to haunt me my whole life.