Swings

Lucas

       Riley's doing her best to help jog Maya's memory. She shows her pictures they've taken together, old toys, places they would hang out, but so far, it's not doing anything. We all hang out with Maya every day after school, since that's the only time we see her. She hasn't been allowed to come back to school. Her mom thinks she won't be ready, and not to mention Katy's counting on Riley as much as I am.

       I haven't told Maya about us. I think it would overwhelm her. She has the mind of a ten year old and I think being in a relationship, or even the idea of being in one, will be too much pressure. It's hard though. Everything she does makes me want to tell her. I just want her to be better. I want to try things to make her better, like kiss her. I know that's a terrible idea though.

      We're all walking down to the park, and by all of us, I mean Archie too. I don't know what he's thinking, but he's sure as hell flirting with Maya. It's pissing me off. I know I can't do much about it though because she likes it, which hurts. If I confront him she'll think I'm a monster.

       Maya and Archie are following behind Riley and in front of Farkle and me. Archie's making her smile and I like that she's smiling, I just want it to be because of me.

      "Why are you letting him do that?" Farkle asks me.

      "Do what?" I ask innocently, not looking away from Archie.

       "You know what, Luke. He's flirting, with Maya. I know Riley thinks Archie's the same guy he was when we were kids, but something's not right."

       I look a Farkle, "You feel it too?" I ask. He nods. "I knew that guy was sketchy,"

       "So why are you letting him do that?" I look at Farkle. He's genuinely wondering.

      "What can I do? She likes him. If I tell him to stop or I beat him up like I want to, she'll hate me," I kick a rock and it tumbles off the sidewalk and into the street.

     "I understand that, but just keep looking out for her ok? I don't trust Archie like I used to," Farkle says, giving Archie a little glare.

        "You know I will," I say. I see the park coming up in front of us. Maya and I came here, I remember it was raining and I pushed her on the swings. She would tell me to keep going and that she wasn't cold. When she got off she was shivering and I hugged her. We climbed in the slide to get away from the rain and she led me just hug her, for what seemed like hours.

       I see Maya head over to the swings and Archie sits on the swing next to her. I walk over to them, along with Farkle and Riley.

       "Anything?" Riley asks. Maya shakes her head. Riley sighs and sits down on the remaining swing looking defeated.

        "Want a push?" I dare to ask Maya. She gives me a little smile and nods. I walk behind her and she grabs on tight to the chains. I grab the chains too, just below her hands and pull her backwards, then run forwards, run back, and then push hard and run. I lift her seat above my head and let go. I'm in front of her now and she's laughing while swinging high. I let out a little giggle and push her feet as she swings to me.

         "You're good at that," she says.

         "Thanks, I used to do that to you a lot," I comment.

         "I think I remember that, not clearly, but it rings a bell," she says.

          "Oh my god! Really?" Riley yells, hopping off the monkey bars.

          "Yeah, I think so," Maya says. She slows down a little on the swings and smiles at me, a big one. "You jogged a memory. You."