So Close

Maya

       "Maya," Lucas whispers from the end of his bed. He must've been awake for a while but I hadn't felt him get up. I groan, not wanting to wake up. I pull Lucas's comforter over my head. I hear him laugh but I just close my eyes tighter, willing myself to sleep. The blanket goes flying off of me leaving me blinded by the sunlight. I groan again and flip onto my stomach burying my head in his pillow.

         "Come on Shortstack," I feel the bed go down a little under his weight as he sits on it. He rubs my back telling me it's time to get up but that only makes me want to sleep more. "I made bacon," I smile into the pillow. He brushes my hair upwards and kisses my neck. He drags his lips up towards my ear sending a wave of warmth through my body. I exhale silently and roll over. Lucas's hands are on either side of my head and he smiles down at me. I reach up in one swift motion and bring his face down to mine.

       He locks his lips around mine and wraps his arms under me. His body is a little heavy on me so I roll us over, not breaking our connection. I move my hands down his abs. He kisses me harder, I have to resist biting him when kissing just doesn't seem to be enough anymore. He rolls us over again. My hands eagerly tug at his shirt and his mouth opens and closes around mine in a continuous rhythm. I move my hands from his back to his cheeks, steadying him from his fast head movements. We push our lips into each other until they feel like one.

       It's Sunday and Lucas and I haven't spent a second apart all weekend. Big surprise, his parents are on another business trip. I'm beginning to think they're secret agents considering how often they're gone. We've made out until my lips ached and we've wanted to do more. Lucas wouldn't let us get any farther though, he wants it to be special. I honestly just want to get it over with.

         I groan again as Lucas pulls away from me and tugs his shirt back down from where it was on his neck. He stands up and I fall back onto the pillow, wanting to keep going. "I'm sorry but I want our first time to be special," he says apologetically.

         "Yeah yeah whatever,"

         "It's difficult for me too," I know it is and I know I should be glad to have a guy who cares so much about this touchy situation. It's just this has never been a big deal for me like it is with other people.

       He takes my hand and leads me down to the bacon. I sit on the couch as he hands me a plate stacked high with bacon and I grin. He has an orange and a much smaller stack and all I can think is how he's missing out, this bacon is good.

                                       . . .

        It's Monday, sadly, and I'm walking with my friends to lunch. I can smell the chicken nuggets and my stomach growls. Lucas smiles at the noise and nudges me playfully. Riley laughs and Farkle hugs her to him. I smile at my friends happiness. I feel a tap on my shoulder and turn around. My breath catches as I look at who it is.

          "Archie?" Riley says questioningly. She grins and runs to him. He smiles wide with his arms outstretched and lets her jump on him. He holds her as Farkle comes up smiling and pats him on the back waiting for his turn at a hug.

         He's changed a lot since the last time I've seen him four years ago. Still has the same short messed up black hair. His green eyes are still as big and beautiful as always, and his pale skin still harbors the light freckles that add a touch of color to his complexion. This boy, Archie Granger, the first one to ever make my heart race.

          "I've missed you all so much," Archie says after hugging Farkle. I detect an accent in his voice, it's strange to hear but also kind of enchanting. "You have no idea how lonely Australia is without my besties" he sees me and comes in for a hug. I manage a smile as my nerves go crazy and I let him hug me. Despite his ice looking skin, he's warm and comforting. He's also gotten taller, taller than Lucas, he's at least six feet.

       Lucas coughs next to me and Archie let's go looking at him. "Hey mate, I'm Archie," he says sticking his hand out towards Lucas. Lucas takes it with a closed mouth smile. "I'm Lucas," he says letting go and putting an arm around me.

         Archie looks from him to me, realization flooding his face. "Good for you Mayaroo, I didn't know if you'd ever get the balls,"

          "Who was the one that refused to get in the lake because it was 'too cold'" I say tauntingly using air quotes. Seeing him is bringing back all sorts of memories from elementary school and middle school. Archie was my next door neighbor and also the first one to find out my dad was leaving and tell the others, knowing I would need support. He was also my first crush, first dance, first kiss.

        "Touché Mayaroo, touché,"

        "Are you back for good?" Asks Riley, still having a huge smile on her face.

       "You bet I am," he says, giving me a big smile.