Oxygen

Maya

     I'm walking towards the cafeteria, crazy hungry. I woke up late thanks to my stupid alarm clock and didn't get a chance to eat breakfast.

      The tiled floor of the school hallway echoes with the sound of bustling feet and conversations. I move my usual speed as people run past me practically jumping over each other.

       I've started eating with my friends again which is extremely painful. It's hard to see Lucas and not want to jump onto his arms. I moped long enough though, I missed Riley.

       I put my hands in my pockets and look around at the classrooms, reminiscing. I've been in every single one for an array of different subjects. I shudder remembering having to sit through "the talk" that my health teacher gave to all of us in 7th grade.

        I look through the window to my old geometry classroom as I walk by. I stop just a few feet from the door. Did I just see Lucas? I step backwards much to the distress of the people trying to pass me.

       I reach the door again and my breath seems to exit my body in a split second. I see Missy and Lucas inhaling each other, Missy's hands through Lucas's hair and his on her shoulders.

       I take a step back from the door as to not have to look at them anymore. The world seems to spin, I feel as though my feet aren't on the ground and I could float away at any second. I grab the wall next to me trying to hold on. I can't breathe, like I fell on my back and the air was all knocked out of me.

       I gasp, trying to fill my lungs. I stagger to the bathroom and push the door open with my shoulder, still not seeing anything clearly. I fall into the sink grabbing both sides. I look at myself in the mirror and my face is red. It's not from anger or from sadness, even though I have both, it's from lack of oxygen. My head gets a sudden pain and I know what's coming.

       I try to inhale but my lungs refuse the air. The picture of Lucas's face on Missy's fills my mind and I collapse. The world goes foggier and then there's nothing.