Clean

Lucas

       When we park outside of Maya's building, her mom suggests I carry her upstairs and clean her up. She says that she's going to tell the Matthews's what happened and that Maya's ok.

        I get out of the car walk to Maya's door . I unbuckle her and she opens her eyes slightly. I move my arms under her. "I can do it," she mumbles but makes no move to get out. Still trying to be tough.

       I pull her out of the car gently. Still as light as a feather, perfectly sculpted for my arms. She puts her arms around my neck and nuzzles her face in my shirt. I follow Katy to their apartment and she unlocks the door for me.

       "Lucas, what your parents said to maya, just know, the same goes for you, you're always welcome," she says to me.

        "Thank you Ma'am," I say smiling back. She smiles slightly but it fades when she looks at maya all dirty and helpless.

         "Please give her a shower or something, I want her to not have to worry about it when she wakes up, it'll just remind her." I raise my eyebrows at her, making sure I understand what I think she's saying. She rolls her eyes at me, "oh please, it's not like you haven't seen it all before," I blush as she turns to go to the Matthews.

         I bring maya to her bathroom and turn on the shower. I sit on the side of the bathtub and place maya in my lap. I remove her arms from my neck and lift her shirt off of her. I carefully take off the rest of her clothes and check the temperature of the water before lowering her into the tub.

       "I'm glad you're okay short stack," I say. She smiles a little with her eyes still closed and I stroke her cheek. "Want to wake up all the way and help me with this?" I ask. She shakes her head weakly and rests it against the wall. She opens her eyes just enough to locate the soap. She slowly lifts her arm to get it and gives it to me. I smile at her as she closes her eyes again.

       Before I get soap all over my hands I get some water and rub her hurt cheek gently. The dried blood comes off easily, although the scab forming seems to want to stay.

        I move the soap over her body. Some people might consider this sexy or hot, and believe me, she is hot, but I didn't think of it like that. It felt almost normal for me, she was my soulmate and taking care of her like this was what I was meant to do for the rest of my life.

        Her cheek starts bleeding again a move my thumb over it. She leans her head into my palm. Her brow is furrowed and I worry that I got soap in her cut or something. I stroke her hair behind her ear. She smiles a little.

        "Will you do this when I come home drunk too?" She whispers. It's hardly audible over the splashing water. I smile.

        "When you're drunk, when you're sad, when you're hurt, when you're happy," I say. I lean in and kiss her hurt cheek.

        I take the soap in my hands again and maneuver Maya so I can easily hold her feet. They're worse than I thought. I wash the dirt and blood away as best I can, but her bruised ankle stays purple. I sit Maya up so I can get to her back. She holds her legs to her chest, her eyes still closed.

         The water pours down her head turning her blond hair brown. Her wet hair clings to her face and I move it so she can breathe easier. I start to move the soap on her back but she flinches away. I look closer and see bruises the size of shoes. I trace them lightly with my finger. It hurts me to see her hurt.

          I still remember the day in the bathroom at school. I remember lifting her shirt to see the bruises. I felt the pain as if it was me being abused. I remember how my stomach tightened and how I wanted to cry. I remember the love I felt for her and her strength.

          I look at her small body in the shower. Her beautiful face, calm as stone, not showing a trace of weakness. She is, and will always be, the strongest person I've ever met. I lightly move the soap over her back and rinse it off.

         "I'll be right back," I say kissing her head. She groans in acknowledgment. I shake my head to get the water off and go into her pitch black bedroom. I turn on her weak lamp and scour her drawers for pajamas. I find some comfy looking flannel pants in her top drawer and grab them. I open the middle drawer and find at least three of my shirts. I almost laugh as I take my Texas A&M shirt out. I grab some clean underwear with butterflies on them. I'll make fun on her for that later.

       I go back into the bathroom and turn the shower off. I take the towel from the pole next to the bathtub and dry her off the best I can. I don't know how her hair always looks so neat because after I put a towel through it it looks like a birds nest. I carry her onto my lap and slowly dress her.

        I pick her up and carry her to her bed. I put her down and pull the comforter over her body. I kiss her forehead. "I'll be right back," I whisper. She reaches up and grabs my wrist, the fastest she's moved all night. Her eyes open, begging me to stay. " I'm just going to check on your mom I'll come right back," her hold loosens and I slip out of the room.

        Katy is in the kitchen eating ice cream right out of the carton. "Hey," I say closing the door quietly behind me.

       She wipes her eyes quickly and turns to face me. "Hi," I walk over to her and sit on the stool next to her.

       "How are you?" She smiles at my question.

        "You know, you're a special guy Lucas," She puts her spoon down and looks at me.

        "Thank you ma'am," I say smiling at her.

        "I can't thank you enough for everything that you've done for maya. Even being around you has made her life better," she looks down, sad all of a sudden.

        "Her life was already good," I say, reaching out and touching her arm. I think she's going to cry again. "Mrs. Hart, Maya's going to be ok, she is ok," Katy nods.

        "I know I've said it before but I'm saying it again, you're welcome here anytime," I smile at her. "Now go make sure my daughter is ok," she turns to the ice cream again and I know she wants me to leave her alone.

         "Alright ma'am," I get up and walk for the door. "I wanted to thank you, for raising Maya the best you could, I couldn't have asked for a better mother for her," I say before I open the door.

         I close the door behind me. Maya's eyes are open as I climb into bed. I hardly have time to settle in before she grabs my arm and drapes it over herself. I smile and rest my head on the pillow. Her body jerks silently and my heart breaks a little. I pull her closer to my body and hug her.

        Maya turns to face me and buries her head in neck. Her cries become more audible and I can feel the tears on my color bone. I know that she's been holding this in all day, until we were alone or until she was ready to let go. I take my arm that's on her back and stroke her hair until she falls asleep.